PDA

View Full Version : VFD Programing Question

Thomas Hotchkin
10-24-2011, 5:05 PM
I posted this on the turning forum also. I thought I might get more answers here about VFD programing. [Any Powermatic 3520 A or B model owners that have replaced their VFD drive, did you purchase a replacement from Powermatic or a VFD distributor, and was there a need to reprogram the new VFD for correct operation? The reason I am asking is there is a $200.00 difference in price from PM and a VFD drive supplier]. Powermatic on their parts lists the VFD as programed for "A" or "B" models with different part numbers. Delta, the manufacture of the VFD, warns against using without programing correctly. Thanks for any help Tom

Stephen Cherry
10-24-2011, 5:41 PM
As far as programing goes, you need to set up the max amps, how you turn it on and off, acceleration speed, etc. It's not that hard. I've done a several, and it only takes a few minutes to program the drive. If the old drive still powers up, you could go through and get the parameters from there.

Mike Heidrick
10-24-2011, 5:44 PM
You can download an FM50 or FM100 manual at the factorymation website and see the options it offers. Not much too them.

Mike Cruz
10-24-2011, 7:03 PM
The VFDs that Stephen is referring to that he has programmed are mine...3 of them...all TECO FM50s. They all work great.

A word from what I have learned... The size VFD that you "need" is one that covers the amount of amps your motor pulls. What I mean by that is that you should target a VFD that has a max amp rating that is comparable to your motor...as opposed to matching up the hp. The reason for this is that each VFD is marketed as a 1, 1.5, 2, or 3 hp unit. But more importantly, they are something like 5, 7.5, 11, and 18 amp ratings. (I just made up those numbers, but they are probably close.) You may have a 7.5 amp 2 hp motor. If so, the 1.5 hp VFD will work just fine for you. Likewise, you might have a 6 amp 1 hp motor and you would need the 1.5 hp VFD. The tricky part is that VFDs are made to exceed amp ratings for short periods. So, you could likely get by with an 11 amp 2 hp VFD on a 13 amp 3hp motor...as long as you don't bog down the motor (drawing the motor's full amp rating) for extended periods (over a minute).

Hope that helped...

Mike Heidrick
10-24-2011, 7:22 PM
FM100s have the Keypad Mounted Potentiometer.

Thomas Hotchkin
10-25-2011, 12:42 AM
Thanks for all the Info, this is a great help. And no I do not have a complete old VFD. The lathe I picked up was sold as is, after a shipping accent. VFD was not complete. Tom

Steven Wayne
10-25-2011, 2:37 AM
Tom, I have set up a couple of the FM50 VFDs. I'm in Vancouver and would be happy to help you with the setup.