PDA

View Full Version : Drawer/box bottom panel raising plane or method help.

Tony Shea
10-24-2011, 4:21 PM
I am in the proccess of making some boxes as well as some small drawers to go inside a cabinet i've been working on. I have been trying my best to stay right away from using plywood for any parts of my solid wood peices therefore all bottoms in these boxes and drawers I plan on using solid wood. I like the look of a raised panel in the bottom of a drawer, the style that almost looks like a rabbet with the inside edge of the rabbet with a rounded profile. If that makes any sense. Those familiar with Krenov's work, it is basically the style of raised panel he most often uses, not the long gradual bevel most of us think about when raised panel is suggested. Aside from just making a rabbet on the panel itself, I really am not sure how to go about creating this detail. It would almost require a rabbet plane/moving fillester plane with an iron that has its' inside edge slightly rounded. Maybe there is some ways to do this that I am not thinking about and is why I coming at you all with this question. Im not opposed to power tools either.

Jim Neeley
10-24-2011, 5:15 PM
Tony,

I believe you are talking about drawer slips. Derek Cohen has a couple of great articles on his web site http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/index.html under his Amoire build, part 8, drawer designs and drawer bottoms.

Thanks for the great resource, Derek!!

Jim

Mike Siemsen
10-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Take a look at a raised panel back cutter. It is a router bit. http://routerbitworld.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=back+cutter
Mike

Jim Koepke
10-25-2011, 12:05 AM
I would cut the rabbet and then round it over. This uses two planes.

jtk

Tony Shea
10-25-2011, 4:07 PM
Jim, that is what I have done in the past and just rounded the top edge of the raised part of the panel. The part I'm looking at having a slight cove is the inside part of the rabbet that is usually a nice crisp inside corner.

And no I'm not interested in the slips themselves, have cut all my grooves all ready in the actual boxes/drawers. No need to attach slips in my situation.

Even just a very steep bevel on the panel itself similar to that on shaker raised panels. There would be the steep bevel and then the lip that fit into the groove. I suppose there are router bits out there that make this but would rather come up with a plane or something by hand.

Jim Koepke
10-25-2011, 8:15 PM
Jim, that is what I have done in the past and just rounded the top edge of the raised part of the panel. The part I'm looking at having a slight cove is the inside part of the rabbet that is usually a nice crisp inside corner.

In that case a small fluting cutter or round soled plane to make the cove. I would cut the cove and then use the rabbet plane to remove material from the outside of the cove until it met the cove.

Actually, the size of the cove could be as big or small as you desire.

jtk

David Turner
10-26-2011, 4:49 PM
I just use a #5 Stanley or a 60 1/2 block plane and taper the edge until it fits in the dado. I have built 50 pieces (or so) of furniture that way without any problems.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.