PDA

View Full Version : Not exactly fine furniture...

Ian MacDonald
03-01-2005, 8:43 PM
Hi folks,

Here's what I've been working on for the last few months of weekends:

http://www.bismac.com/albums/dog_house/P2280288.sized.jpg

You can see the rest of the pictures here: http://www.bismac.com/gallery/dog_house

I don't know about you but I have trouble getting photos during the construction process (of just about any project I'm working on). I've seen you guys documenting your workshop renovation projects and wondered how you managed to remember to stop and document the interesting steps.

Anyway, I built the house for an auction at my son's elementary school. It's the most complicated project I've built to date. I guess this is mostly because I was following my own design and the fact that things got a lot more complicated than I first envisioned. Funny how that happens when you volunteer to do something you've never done before.

The basic construction consists of plywood panels layed over an internal frame. In between the panels I put 2" thick foil-faced foam insulation. The panels all lock together with metal keyhole plates. If I was doing it again I would not use knock-down contruction since everything needs to fit with much more precision than I think would normally be expected with rough carpentry. The main reason I included the knock-down ability was to be able to transport the house around easily. All together the house and patio must weigh close to 300 lbs.

I spent around 60 hours doing the main construction which occured in 4 or 5 hour sessions during the weekends. I have no background in construction or the trades and I must say that at then end of this project I have a whole lot of respect for folks that do this stuff for a living everyday. At the end of each weekend of working on the house I looked forward to getting some rest back at the office. :)

Cheers,

-- Ian

Jim Becker
03-01-2005, 8:55 PM
That's pretty kewel, Ian. A very classy house!!

As to your photo question, I keep the camera on a tripod in the shop and make good use of the shutter timer for shots along the way. It works well to keep things documented and also forces little breaks that are good for both pacing and safety.

Ian Barley
03-01-2005, 10:09 PM
A very handsome kennel. Whoever it's new owner is I hope they let their human in for a crawl around from time to time.

I know exactly what you mean about the photos. I remember to take my camera into the shop about once every visit from Jim Becker! (Hi jim - yeah - burning 3am oil again cos of an intensely itchy leg!)

Does the sixty hours include painting? If so you did real well. If not I suspect that you added nearly the same again to get such a great effect.

Really good job and thanks for posting.

David Fried
03-01-2005, 10:43 PM
Fine furniture:no - Fine Homebuilding: Absolutely. Really nice job and I know what you mean about going to work because you need the rest!

Lars Thomas
03-01-2005, 11:04 PM
Very well done. I'll bet you help raise a ton of money for your daughters school. Looks a little like the house I may be moving into soon.

Ed Weiser
03-01-2005, 11:07 PM
Great job! Our biggest problem with the dog house was getting the dog to use it. Seems she preferred to simply be inside "the big house". Smart dog...

Jerry Olexa
03-01-2005, 11:50 PM
Nice work! Worthwhile cause! Good job!!

Karl Laustrup
03-02-2005, 5:56 AM
Very nice, Ian. :)

I will start escrow proceedings immediately. Is 30 day escrow alright? I do need some time to pack my things. ;) :D Is there a detached garage so I may continue what I call woodworking? :eek: :D

Jim Dunn
03-02-2005, 7:37 AM
It's great to have people in your community, to both dedicate time and talent to their school system. Now, about that insulation in your California dog house, do you really need it???:)

Jeff Sudmeier
03-02-2005, 8:25 AM
Ian,

That is one nice looking dog house! I sure hope that it brings the high price that it deserves!! I wouldn't be able to buy it for symba... he likes to chew on wood and would ruin it....

Great job!

Steve Inniss
03-02-2005, 9:38 AM
Ian,
Fantastic job - brilliant idea for a fundraiser. Thanks for posting, -Steve

Ian MacDonald
03-02-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

I'll try to remember to take more pictures of my next project. That is if my family lets me back into my shop. :)

I think my kids forgot who I was after spending so many weekends excluded from family activities.

Cheers,

-- Ian

Ian MacDonald
03-02-2005, 11:54 AM
It's great to have people in your community, to both dedicate time and talent to their school system. Now, about that insulation in your California dog house, do you really need it???:)

Hi Jim,

In the 'winter' here (about 30 miles NE of San Francisco) it can get down into the low 30's on occasion and in the summer it regularly gets up into the 100's. We definitely need furnaces and air conditioners. If you are a little closer to the San Francisco Bay then you can do without the air conditioning.

Cheers,

-- Ian

Ian MacDonald
03-02-2005, 11:59 AM
Very nice, Ian. :)

I will start escrow proceedings immediately. Is 30 day escrow alright? I do need some time to pack my things. ;) :D Is there a detached garage so I may continue what I call woodworking? :eek: :D

I guess you could just put the dog house next to your existing garage. I know I've heard my wife mention that I could spend some time in the dog house on occasion. :rolleyes: (Before she saw the finished result that is.)

Cheers,

-- Ian

Ian MacDonald
03-02-2005, 12:04 PM
That's pretty kewel, Ian. A very classy house!!

As to your photo question, I keep the camera on a tripod in the shop and make good use of the shutter timer for shots along the way. It works well to keep things documented and also forces little breaks that are good for both pacing and safety.

Thanks Jim.

How do you keep the dust out of the camera when you have it in your shop?

Cheers,

-- Ian