PDA

View Full Version : Drying question

Richard Jones
10-24-2011, 2:48 PM
For those of you who rough out small lidded boxes, a la Richard Raffan, do you AS/wax the end grain or just tape the tenons end-to-end like RR does, commando, so to speak?

Thanks.

Rich

Bernie Weishapl
10-24-2011, 3:53 PM
I do paint mine with anchorseal and tape the tenons together.

Mike Peace
10-24-2011, 4:30 PM
I do not use any sealer and have had no failures. My roughouts are generally no larger than about 3" X 5". I have roughed more than a dozen or so in the past three years of ash, cherry, bradford pear, osage orange, and maple. I leave the walls about 1/2" to 3/4" with lids thinner than the bottoms to allow some extra for the tenon on the bottom.

Jim Burr
10-24-2011, 5:35 PM
I've only done 5-6 wet boxes and walk in Mike's footsteps on this. 1/2" is a really good thickness for a little box blank since most end up 1/8 to 3/16 anyway.

Reed Gray
10-25-2011, 12:59 AM
If the wood is green, I probably will seal the end grain, though, being butted up against another wet piece and taped together would probably be low risk. With pieces that are already, I still rough turn them, but don't even consider sealing the end grain.

robo hippy

Paul Heely
10-25-2011, 8:06 AM
I tape mine together and throw them in a cardboard box with the flaps closed. I've had great luck with this method.