PDA

View Full Version : Jet oscilating edge sander question

Jeff Monson
10-24-2011, 2:38 PM
I'm seriously considering the Jet edge sander that is on sale right now for $999.00. It is the oscillating model, I've got 2 kitchen projects this winter and it seems an edge sander would fit the bill nicely for cabinet doors.

Couple of questions, are there any fellow creekers that own this model? any pro's or con's to be aware of?

Also are there some other uses for an edge sander that I may be overlooking (it may help tip me off the fence if I can justify it for a few other shop operations). This will be my first edge sander.

Matt Meiser
10-24-2011, 2:45 PM
I don't have that one (I have one of the entry-level Grizzly machines) but I find it to be a very versatile sander. I sold my belt/disc sander after getting mine because there wasn't anything I could do on the belt/disc that I couldn't do on the edge sander. I've used mine on drawer sides, to shape parts (i.e. add a rounded corner) etc. A friend has a bigger PM oscillating machine and its definitely nicer, but several times what mine cost.

Cary Falk
10-24-2011, 2:52 PM
I bought the Jet several years ago on sale for $800. I bought it over theGrizzly because to get a Grizzly that oscillates you have to spend about $1500. I am disappointed in the finish of the table. The grind is much rougher that I would have guessed. It doesn't hurt anything but I guess I am spolied by Grizzly.It also doesn't have an easy way of raising and lowering the table. You need a third hand. I made a hand wheel for that so it is better now. Overall I am happy with the sander. I use it quite a bit. Most of my stuff so far is outside curves. It will come in handy with boxes, drawers, doors, etc.

Dave Zellers
10-24-2011, 3:01 PM
I've had it for 8 months or so. Love it. Can't imagine life without it at this point. Bought it to sand the edges of ash kitchen inset doors. It did an awesome job in just seconds.

The only con I would list is that the table has to be raised and lowered manually (no crank). It's heavy and a bit of a pain but I cut blocks the distance I want to raise it and slip them into the space on each end, let it rest on them while I tighten the knobs and then pull them out.

After you get used to having it, you think of all kinds of ways to make quick work of tasks that used to be tedious or time consuming.

David Kumm
10-24-2011, 3:40 PM
Jeff. as other have said, once you have one you won't give it up. for that reason make sure the model you get has a stout table and a platen that doesn't flex. And a really good dust collector. Dave

Peter Perrello
02-24-2013, 3:08 PM
Would you please explain your hand wheel modification for adjusting the table height. I'm ordering mine this week and want to add this feature.

Cary Falk
02-24-2013, 4:44 PM
Here you go Peter:
Start with a 8" HF C clamp.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0098.jpg

Smooth the "nut" from the clamp and grind a flat on it. Turn a handwheel on the lathe. Epoxy the nut into the handwheel.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0099.jpg
I found the center balance point of the table and formed a block to fit the webbing under the table.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0100.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0101.jpg
Created a block to hold the screw and reduce it so it would be able to clamp around the screw. You really don't need to lock the screw from what I have found.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0102.jpg
Attached to the sander by angle iron.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0103.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0104.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0105-1.jpg

Cary Falk
02-24-2013, 6:27 PM
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/sander.jpg

George Panagopoulos
02-24-2013, 6:48 PM
I have this sander and also can recommend it. For the price it is a good deal and I have found many uses for it. The table adjustment is not great, but I loosen one side adjust it up then adjust up the other side. The miter gauge that comes with it is not great, but I have mainly used this as a 90 degree stop.

Mike Heidrick
02-24-2013, 7:42 PM
Any Vega oes sanders around you Jeff. To me it was worth the wait to find one. I spent $900 on mine used but new they are 2K. They have a graphite covered ground I beam for a platen and the belt is 139" not 89" which means the platen is MUCH longer than the chiwan 89"s. The motor is Leeson and the size of a mini keg and the oscilating motor is baldor. You can run tables on both sides and an end table if you want. You can run dual platens or install and adjustable flex platen for curves on the back. It is seriously the nicest oes under 2K new I have ever found. Not telling you not to buy the Jet if you want it but the Vega will make you consider waiting if you research it.

Rick Potter
02-24-2013, 7:51 PM
As far as other uses are concerned, I use it for almost everything now. I have a Delta I picked up slightly used for $800. As others have said, I wouldn't part with it. I use it along with my Oscillating spindle sander a lot. I also have a Delta 12" disc/belt sander that I am thinking of unloading, just because I rarely use it since getting the edge sander.

Rick Potter

glenn bradley
02-24-2013, 7:53 PM
Cary, as usual; you're a genius.

To the OP, I have had this guy for over a year and as others have said, I would not want to be without it. True, Jet does not have the CI finish that the Griz stuff does but, I notice no ill effects. Jet's knobs are sharp to my hand and are metric so not real easy to swap out. The belt guard off/on maneuver (required for belt changes on this model) is awkward but, the learning curve here is short. It runs faster than I like but, I just couldn't seem to cut loose with the extra cash for the more expensive slower ones. You need to watch for burning if you run finer grits but, the learning curve is again, short. I have a selection of belts and a good supply of the rubber cleaners and am quite happy with the machine.

Peter Perrello
02-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Thanks Cary, this is going to be fun to build!

Paul McGaha
02-24-2013, 10:59 PM
Jeff,

You might check with whichever vendor you use for Jet products but I think I remember seeing a 15% off for Powermatic and Jet sale for the first week of March. Pretty sure I got an email from one of the vendors that stated that. Maybe Woodcraft?

PHM

Cary Falk
02-25-2013, 6:41 AM
Cary, as usual; you're a genius.

Ha! The jury is still out on that one. Maybe I should go back and read some of my old posts. :D It is one of the few original thoughts that I have taken to completion, but I have been told that it is basically a solution looking for a problem. Either way, I like gagets. If anybody finds it useful then I am glad I could help.

Sam Layton
02-25-2013, 9:27 AM
Jeff,

I have a Vega edge sander I picked up off of Craig's List. It was three phase, so I added a VFD and it works perfect. Mine does not have oscillation. However, one good thing with the Vega, is you can add the oscillation when you want to. It is my go to sander, and I really like the longer bed.

Cary, you did an outstanding job on your hand crank wheel assembly.

Sam

Peter Perrello
02-27-2013, 7:43 AM
Thanks Paul. I see my favorite vendor Tools Plus has this sale starting March 1st.

Paul McGaha
02-27-2013, 6:59 PM
Thanks Paul. I see my favorite vendor Tools Plus has this sale starting March 1st.

I like tools-plus too. Good website, nice people, sharp prices. I've made several orders with them and I've never had an issue.

http://www.tools-plus.com/

The timing of the sale worked out well for you guys.

PHM

jim sauterer
03-01-2013, 9:14 PM
thanks to this thread and other reviews i bought the jet oscillating edge sander on amazon for 849.99 free ship.i was looking at belt disc sanders and not much cheaper.thanks sawmill creek and all the knowledge and help from the people on this forum.thanks jim.

Peter Perrello
03-01-2013, 9:26 PM
With the Jet Edge Sander on order I now need a recommendation on what brand of belts to buy?

Mike Heidrick
03-01-2013, 9:36 PM
I use 3M on my Vega and they are amazing. I found a case of them on ebay. Do searches by your belt width and 89" length. I have also ordered from econabrasives for my drum sander. Do some thread searches on drum belts for good ideas on who has the best prices.

Wade Lippman
03-01-2013, 9:40 PM
It is the same price as the non-oscillating Grizzly. The Griz seems to have better adjustable tables and a dust port in a better place. However this oscillates.
One of the Amazon reviews says it really doesn't oscillate in the way the more expensive Griz; apparently just the sandpaper goes up and down; not the entire unit.
So, is the oscillating feature all that important?

glenn bradley
03-01-2013, 9:50 PM
With the Jet Edge Sander on order I now need a recommendation on what brand of belts to buy?

I have been very happy with Klingspor. Long-lasting and easy cleaning. The sander uses a fairly common oscillating method of one drum (the idler in this case) deviating on axis. It is over 100 strokes per minute but, the stroke is only 1/2". This gave me concern when shopping but, in practice has proven a non issue with all but the finest papers (240 grit). I generally use coarser papers for edge sanding tasks. When I do use finer grits for sanding box sides and so forth, I just clean the belt more frequently and there is no problem. I think you will be a happy camper. I rigged a knee-paddle turn off which is only handy because I am used to turning things off that way :). No real gain, just convenient.

Mike Heidrick
03-01-2013, 9:51 PM
A combination of a skewed table (table angled down but still at 90 degrees) and the paper oscillating will get you much better paper useage and not as many sanding marks as a non-oscillating setup.

jim sauterer
03-01-2013, 10:06 PM
peter i found 6x89 klingspor on ebay.they were 4 for 39.99.just search 6x89 sanding belts .also free shipping .hope this helps.