PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic letters to wooden plaque

Hannu Rinne
10-24-2011, 2:04 PM
Would you use double sided tape to fasten acrylic letters to wood - is it a long lasting solution (indoor use) ?

-Hannu

Dave Gates
10-24-2011, 2:53 PM
Hannu, I've done this in the past and had good results. I applied the tape before cutting out the letters/shapes for better coverage.

Martin Boekers
10-24-2011, 3:18 PM
I do quite a bit for "Recognition Boards" Put the tape on before cutting, same as Dave suggested.
Don't cheap out on the tape, use the good stuff. I price text both ways, just letters (takes up less acrylic)
and letters cut out with the acrylic to frame it. The second way cost more, but if you hold up the "frame"
and square it you can then inset the letters. After that pull away the "Frame" perfect spacing and positioning.
I find most are will to pay the extra as it make the text look professional and saves time installing.

Hannu Rinne
10-24-2011, 5:34 PM
Thank you Dave and Martin

I'll do it as with Martin's second way. The one thing that worries me is our alphabet letters Ä and Ö. How can I ensure that these dots overhead will stick securely to the wood :confused:. They are separate and quite small (customer has designated the font and I can't change or fix it) So I guess the only way is just test it...

Regards,
Hannu

Martin Boekers
10-24-2011, 6:16 PM
That is a problem with small text. If it is in a high traffic area I ward about the possiblities of such small text falling off at taken off by folks passing by.

Joe Pelonio
10-24-2011, 10:13 PM
I make an installation template with card stock to be able to nest the letters and save material. For adhering, I use small bits of DS tape and silicone adhesive for larger letters or installing on a wall. For a sign where you can apply on a table, a few small dabs of silicone works fine without any DS tape. If any excess squeezes out you can easily pick it off after it sets part way.

Richard Rumancik
10-24-2011, 10:25 PM
Hannu, I would not rely on the PSA tape to stick on the small dots. I have done a board with PSA but for the punctuation I had the installer use epoxy instead. I also use a cardstock template like Joe. I find that I can basically use my layout file, as the kerf on the cardstock is smaller than on the acrylic. As a result the acrylic letters slip in with just a bit of clearance. Sometimes I simplify the outline shape so it just captures the outside of the character.

Hannu Rinne
10-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Thanks guys,

I haven't even thought about using silicone or epoxy. What would i do without this forum :)

Regards,
Hannu