PDA

View Full Version : Need a radial arm saw motor rewound

Harry Thornton
03-01-2005, 8:31 PM
I was recently given a Craftsman RAS that I thought I could fix with a capacitor. I succeeded in killing the old motor completely. The saw is 30 years old and a new motor from Sears is $250. Too much for old equipment.

Question: Does anybody know of a cheap source of new motors? Otherwise, how much should it cost to have the motor rewound? Thanks.

Randy Moore
03-01-2005, 8:39 PM
Harry check the yellow pages for electric motors. Somone in there could tell tou how it would cost.

Welcome to the 'Creek. There is a lot of smart people in here so feel free to ask questions or give answers.
Again welcome

Randy

Harry Thornton
03-01-2005, 8:56 PM
Not many folks in Atlanta area want to mess with major small electric motor repair and one guy flat out told me to buy the new motor! I am guessing that in small towns there are more people interested in doing that type of work. Just thought a few folks may have had experience contrary to mine.

Juan Rivera
03-01-2005, 9:25 PM
It will cost you about the same amount ($250) or slightly less to get the motor rewound. I went through similar situation last year. If you really want to keep the machine then just get a new motor but if you just need a radial saw then look at your local classifieds. You can find a newer model craftsman used for $200 or less.Good luck!

peter leyden
03-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Harry, Unless you really love that motor, I would not recommend rewinding. Five years ago I had a Motor rewound for the princely sum of $450! Now understand that this motor was a 1/6 HP motor for a milling machine table drive. Find yourself a used RAS for a lot less than $250. In fact, if you can find a saw for a reasonable price, you may be able to reduce that cost by checking to see if your RAS is involved in the recall of Craftsman RAS's. They'll give you $100 for your motor(working or non-working). Check it out. Lot's of luck

Charles Wade
03-02-2005, 12:19 AM
Harry, a few years ago I faced that problem with a 30 year old Craftsman RAS. I searched eBay til I found the same model saw, won the bid on it (about $125), then told the owner I only wanted the motor. When the motor arrived, I sent the old one to the recall mentioned above and got $100 for it. A few months later I saw another identical saw on ebay, bought the motor from it for about $75. Now I have a spare. These days you might do even better with www.craigslist.org. I'm not affiliated with either web site.

Rob Russell
03-02-2005, 8:04 AM
You should be able to buy a replacement motor on Ebay for under $100 - just be patient and make sure you get the same frame and type size.

Mike Sheppard
03-02-2005, 8:29 AM
Harry

I have one I was going to send in for the $100 rebate. I will take $50 for it and you pay shipping. The motor works but the pin that locks it from pivoting is broke and it is to old to get parts for. I doin't know if it will fit your old carrage. If you think you are you might want it let me know I will email you a pic. and the model #. It is in southeast Michigan.
Mike

Harry Thornton
03-02-2005, 1:42 PM
and everybody else too! My saw is indeed eligable for the recall so it is history. I would still like to have a RAS or sliding compound mitre saw but I will wait and see what I can find on ebay or elsewhere. I am very thankful to know that I didn't haul that boat anchor home and crowd my workshop for nothing!