PDA

View Full Version : Band blade sharpener/tooth setter question.

Aleks Hunter
10-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Hi folks,

Does anyone out there have hands on experience with band blade sharpeners/ tooth setters? I use a Hudson Farm boss, load it with an excavator, and am about to buy some new woodmizers because the old ones have seen their day in the logs and resharp. Its getting cold, so time to really start cutting again, I go through several to a dozen blades a day and the ROI on the $1200 - $1500 price of the different semi auto systems makes sense. But like anything else they are not all created equally, some have got to be a LOT more equal than others. I've bought and sold two chain saw sharpening rigs because hand sharpening on the bar is just so much faster and really amounts to a nicely spaced break period form the work. :D For the band blades it looks that once the setter/sharpener is set up it should be a wash time wise to have one man load the dull blade onto the sharpener/setter and fire it up while the other replaces the guards on the mill, and sets the new log in place.

Any thoughts from any bandmill operators out there are much appreciated, thanks.

Al Weber
10-24-2011, 3:51 PM
You might ask this question over at the Milling and Saw Mills forum at ArboristSite.com. That forum is always active and I'm sure someone there will have an answer for you. I had a RipSaw and sharpened the bands manually with a Dremel tool and a diamond burr. Worked well and didn't take too long but those were short bands and not worth the investment in a sharpening system.