PDA

View Full Version : Bead lock loose tennon system?

Doug Carpenter
10-24-2011, 10:16 AM
I saw this in the rockler catalog this month. Has anybody used this thing? I have to build a kitchen's worth of cabinet doors. I am making shaker style flat panel doors. I don't have a mortising machine so I am considering this loose tenon method.

what do you think?

Mike Konobeck
10-24-2011, 10:48 AM
I have used it. Not much because I have been doing more traditional mortise and tenons since I have a mortising machine and a Leigh Super FMT but it works well. It is not a Domino but at a FRACTION of the cost it essentially does the same thing. Just can't do fancy angles and such (at least I don't think you can without some creative shimming) which you don't need. The nice thing is you can buy the router bits to make your own stock so it could really prove to save quite a bit of money and provide some flexibility in the end.

You don't need a mortising machine by the way. You could always just build a jig for your router. Tons of plans on the web. I am not much for jig building unless it is something really specific for a project but to each their own.

Disclaimer: I do have a kit for sale in the classifieds if you are interested. Someone else said they were interested but I haven't heard back from them in a while. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Doug Carpenter
10-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Mike,

Thanks for the reply. what are you selling in the classifieds?

John Nesmith
10-24-2011, 11:24 AM
I've had one for about 7 years. I've used it a variety of projects, including maybe a dozen cabinet doors, like the ones below that I just built. It works well. No complaints.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DGASV6_pLOE/TqWCn6TCXkI/AAAAAAAAAjQ/caL2jnYuZoY/s800/IMG_2479.JPG

Doug Carpenter
10-24-2011, 12:20 PM
There you go. That is exactly how our doors will look. Nice work John. Do you need the optional peice to do the 3/4 stock? Thanks, Doug

John TenEyck
10-24-2011, 12:41 PM
To each his own, but a router cuts mortises faster and cleaner than a drill or mortiser, and any size you want. And with router cut mortises you make your own tenons for the cost of a few pieces of scrap. You can use nothing more than the edge guide fence with your router, make a shop built jig, buy a Leigh machine or similar, or build a horizontal mortiser. Lots of options. My 2 cents.

John Nesmith
10-24-2011, 1:00 PM
There you go. That is exactly how our doors will look. Nice work John. Do you need the optional peice to do the 3/4 stock? Thanks, Doug

Thanks.

I'm not sure about the optional piece, but I would think not. I have the original version, from back before Rockler bought them. The 3/8" block is sized for 3/4" inch stock. You shouldn't need any "extras" for 3/4".

Doug Carpenter
10-24-2011, 3:11 PM
John T. you make a good point. I have a router based duplicator that I use for making gunstocks. I could whip up a fixture to hold the stile and rail and cut them in no time. Thanks, Doug

Jay Jeffery
10-28-2011, 6:10 PM
There are 2 designs. I have the basic kit that is a simple drill block. So far I've only used it as a doweling jig, and it has done fine in that role. The screw holes were oversized from sloppy anodizing, so I had to chase the threads with a 1/4-20 NC tap.

Rockler also sells a "Pro" version that clamps on to the work piece. If you have a store in your area, you might like to see it in person. The scale of the tool is kind of lost in the pictures. It comes with a paring guide if you want to make squared mortises. People seem to like both designs.

If you are not in a hurry, know that they do go on sale often.

Jeremy Greiner
10-29-2011, 3:56 AM
If you have a router I recommend the mortise pal. You can make your own loose tennons with a simple round over bit.