PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
10-24-2011, 9:37 AM
24 Oct 2011

Good Morning Everyone,
I spent the week last week in Alabama with my mom. I worked my day job from there and helped her during my lunch breaks and I had all day Wednesday off to take her around places and get more legal and essential stuff done. We are getting closer to being done, but I've heard that the entire process takes about a year or longer before everything can be considered "finished". Needless to say, I spent 2 days total travelling to / from Alabama and I traveled it via my motorcycle. I love the ride and this time of year is GREAT to ride and I get to experience the fall colors instead of looking at them from the other side of a piece of glass. Needless to say that there was no woodworking for me as I got back home Saturday night, church Sunday, family night Sunday night and now it's back to the grind.

Well, that's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Matt Meiser
10-24-2011, 10:00 AM
We arrived home from vacation Sunday afternoon. We left last Saturday and flew to Orlando via Baltimore, spent the night in Cocoa Beach then boarded the Disney Dream for a cruise to Nassau and Disney's private island, Castaway Cay. Despite some less than ideal weather we had a good time. There was a little rain in Nassua which was fine since we weren't real impressed with the city and spent most of our time there on an excursion for an up-close encounter with a Dolphin and it was overcast the day at Castaway Cay. Our day at sea was really rough (we were on the 9th deck and our verandah was getting sprayed with seawater) but still an enjoyable day. I wasn't sure how I'd like a cruise but the Disney people do a great job at hospitality and I'd do it again, once our credit card recovers! Not a cheap vacation and we've had the cruise, plane tickets, lodging, and rental car for the days in Orlando all paid for for months and bought a lot of Disney gift cards about a month ago (for the Kroger gas points) which were pre-applied to our onboard account. Thursday we arrived back in FL and spent 3 more days in Orlando, 2 of those at Universal. The weather those days was perfect other than being a little cool--not that that deterred LOMLjr from spending a lot of time in the pools. We left Orlando early and flew home through Nashville.

Now its time to get going on the dining table. I'm hoping to do a lot of work on the top in the next week and maybe finish up that part in the next couple weeks. I need to get the top done, then I'm going to mock up the base in construction lumber to get dimensions figured out.

David Hostetler
10-24-2011, 11:29 AM
I spent plenty of quality time with my lovely wife this weekend, just the 2 of us, it was great! I managed to get the new water heater stand extension painted, and installed to the original unit. The wall cavity is still open but will be getting sheet rock and trim in short order...

I also started on the build of a basic Christmas tree stand so that I can insure that our old artificial Christmas tree can be used for years to come... I HATE all the new ones I have seen over the last few years... I was half tempted to actually start using fresh trees, but the fire hazard is a HUGE concern...

Lastly, I got a stroke of genious, or maybe it was just a stroke I don't know, but an idea hit me that is so simple, and should be so effective, that I think other folks will copy my idea... I am talking about for my SCMS dust hood problem... A very simple, and should be effective idea leapt to my mind actually yesterday while I was in the shower (weird how ideas always seem to come while you are too wet to write anything down huh?)... The build is pending, but should be a good one... Stand by!...

John Kali
10-24-2011, 11:48 AM
I managed to get into the shop this weekend for a bit. My new incra ls system came in the mail last week along with their prl-v2 lift. Saturday I made a new router table for them to go on with some half sheets of mdf I had laying around. I will have to save up a few more dollars so I can actually build a proper cabinet for everything to sit on, as well as a nice sheet of laminate to go on top. After I finished setting everything up on the new table I had to try it out, so I started making my first box. The joints didnt come out perfect, but for my first attempt I was pleased. I am excited to see how the final product will turn out.

Then Sunday I had some friends over to watch a bit of football, and later in the evening we made a bonfire. It was a rather enjoyable weekend.

Jim Rimmer
10-24-2011, 12:55 PM
LOML and I went to Natchitoches, LA (pronounced Nackadish) last week to meet a cousin and spouse. It's a great little historic town. It's where they filmed Steel Magnolias. There is an old hardware store downtown that was a hoot to tour.

I took Friday off as well and got some good shop time in working on the bedside tables. I posted a link (with trepidation) to some videos on youtube that I am making as a work on the project. Worked on the M&T joints this weekend and made another video I will post in a day or two. Each table has sides that have 8 slats that are installed using M&T joints. That's 16 per table which adds up to 32 mortises times two tables. They are half inch M&Ts. I made the mortise with a plunge router which means I had 64 round holes to turn into square holes. Got them all done, though.

Don Jarvie
10-24-2011, 3:01 PM
We went to the Fine Furniture Show in Providence then hit the Roger Williams Zoo on Sunday. Plently of inspiration at the show.

Don

Jerome Hanby
10-24-2011, 4:06 PM
Got my Sub-panel installed last week and my POD delivered a few days before that. Spent the Weekend moving stuff into the POD and doing away with flimsy metal shelving units. Once I have that half of the shop clear, I'll do the wiring for that side. Also picked up plywood for shop cabinets to replace the metal shelves. Ordered 50 pairs of hinges, 100 T8/T12 replacement sockets, and picked up replacement 4 bulb t-8 ballasts, 250' of 12/3 wire and numerous 20 amp duplex sockets, metal boxes, covers, conduit, and fittings. I'm ready to make some sparks!