PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Real Estate Posts

John Almonte
10-24-2011, 2:48 AM
Hello,

Can I get some input on the type of wood, primer, and paint that you would use for real estate posts? I was planning on using douglas fir 4x4s since they aren't very expensive, but would there be a problem with them being green? I made a few of them of them a couple of weeks ago and most of them are holding up okay with 2 coats of latex primer and 1 coat of exterior semi-gloss acrylic paint. I have noticed some sap coming out of one of the posts, though.

I may need to make a lot of these posts, as needed, so I have to be able to buy the wood and make them immediately. I don't have the space to buy a lot of 4x4s and let them dry.

Also, would you know of a place that sells eye screws and s-hooks in bulk and wholesale prices?

Thanks,
John

Joe Pelonio
10-24-2011, 8:00 AM
I always used treated cedar, the more expensive smooth kind without the cuts all over them. Green fir will bleed sap and warp on you. I didn't make them often because there for what I charged, most people could rent them with installation from a place specializing in them. Because of the size and space they take up and low profit I prefer sticking to the signs.

Doug Bergstrom
11-04-2011, 12:49 AM
I stopped using wood about 2 years ago. There are many vinyl post systems that are easier to work with, do not rot, can be painted, and will last forever without maintenance.