PDA

View Full Version : Maytag Dryer Help

John Weber
03-01-2005, 7:34 PM
Hi guys, our Maytag electric dryer is about 10 years old I guess, and has developed a bad vibration and occasional squeak (maybe bearing?). It still rotates and dries fine, but I'm afraid it's going to stop soon, and with 2 small kids we set weekly records for number of loads. Any ideas, I've replaced motors and belt in my old GE dryer, but not sure where to start as I've never opened up our Maytag. Plus the room is so small I'm really not looking forward to pulling it apart.

Thanks for any info - John

Steve Ash
03-01-2005, 7:48 PM
Might be a blower fan. Our Whirlpool dryer developed a bad vibration and after I took off the blower shroud I found that the plastic fan was missing one of the vanes. It seems that a ink pen fell down the tube while it was running and caused the problem. Cost for repair and part was around $50.00.

David Fried
03-01-2005, 10:54 PM
I've had Sears out a few times and they charged me but never fixed the washer or the dryer. I've gone with a local guy who is less expensive and has his own boneyard for parts. You might look for someone similar.

when he took apart my dryer I was amazed how simple it is. Most of the case is empty space collecting lost socks! You might give it a try yourself - at least take a peek inside before deciding to spend the money on hiring someone.

Good Luck!

Boyd Gathwright
03-01-2005, 11:08 PM
Hi John,

.... I've had this problem before. There are usually two wheels in the front that the drum rotates on and they go bad. Call any private repair company and if they're honest with you they will tell you what two wheels your model requires and YOU can change them yourself. It's not a bad job just be careful and take your time. Ask the repair guy how to approach it or any special tips that he may be able to offer you. Or go to www.repairclinic.com (http://www.repairclinic.com/) they have been known to be helpful.

Good luck and let us know how you made out ;).

Boyd

Hi guys, our Maytag electric dryer is about 10 years old I guess, and has developed a bad vibration and occasional squeak (maybe bearing?). It still rotates and dries fine, but I'm afraid it's going to stop soon, and with 2 small kids we set weekly records for number of loads. Any ideas, I've replaced motors and belt in my old GE dryer, but not sure where to start as I've never opened up our Maytag. Plus the room is so small I'm really not looking forward to pulling it apart.

Thanks for any info - John

John Weber
03-01-2005, 11:44 PM
Thanks guys, well I think I've got 90% of it. A wad of dryer sheets had found thier way to the fan. This then started a blockage that blocked about 30% of the filter. I think the sheets and dust, were throwing the balance off creating the vibration. I gave it a quick clean and it seems ok. I need a new vent hose, so I'll run to Lowes tomarrow and then give it a test (full load of jeans - ha). Anyway, I could do some maintenance, but I'm really not sure what to do, so I'm going to see if this takes care of it. The belt and idler pulley could maybe be replaced, but if I can get away with a simple cleaning I going to go with that. I figure it's 10 years old, so maybe it's not worth putting a lot of money into. It's not whisper quite, but it's so much better then it was, I think I found the problem. The rest is just old age I think. I'm a little creekier myself then I was 10 years ago.

Thanks again for you time and help - John

Mike Circo
03-02-2005, 12:05 PM
If you do try a tune up and/or repair, this is a good site for parts and information.

www.repairclinic.com

They have most parts and lots of diagrams and useful info. I fixed my oven using parts from here. Cost me $60 for the parts, repair visit would have been $200 or more.