PDA

View Full Version : Question Re. CA Glue...

BILL DONAHUE
10-23-2011, 9:39 PM
Question: Will Ca glue stain wood that's been treated (soaked) with BLO? Am trying my first Norfolk Island Pine vase and after several soaks in BLO it cracked at the rim which is very thin. I have used shellac in the past to prevent CA from staining wood and would expect that the BLO would have the same effect but don't want to ruin it this close to the completion. Thanks.

Marty Eargle
10-23-2011, 10:13 PM
I have found that BLO will darken most woods about the same as a then coat of CA. Though, if your cracks are small enough, you could probably fill them with CA and sand back the overflow where it's not even noticeable.

kevin nee
10-24-2011, 6:57 AM
I put painters tape on the area around ths crack and it seems to help with any overflow.
Cuts down on sanding. Good luck!

Lee Koepke
10-24-2011, 8:25 AM
I dont think that BLO would have the same effect as shellac. I may be mistaken, but BLO is more 'penetrating' whereas shellac will sit on the surface. The reason for shellac is a surface protectant that you can sand off.

Nathan Hawkes
10-24-2011, 8:39 AM
+1 on what Lee told you. The reason it works is because it keeps the CA from penetrating. I've used this technique as well. Just be careful not to allow the shellac to fill the crack you are trying to fill; I wipe from one side of the crack, then the other, not over the whole thing. Capillary action wants to fill the crack with shellac.

Jim Burr
10-24-2011, 11:29 AM
I've found that if you apply any finish prior to using CA, it will prevent the staining from the glue soaking in. I dab a bit of finish on with a Q-tip aorund the affected area and hit with glue.