PDA

View Full Version : New video from Mike Clark - Photo Laser Glass

Ron Thompson
10-23-2011, 7:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvV_E82ztk0&feature=related

Joe Hillmann
10-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Good video, but what is the reason for using the masking? It seems like more work and expense so it must have a reason.

Martin Boekers
10-24-2011, 11:47 AM
If I was to wager a guess, it some how helps in controling the "fracturing"

Some use a dish soap, others a wet newspaper and others still a variety
of things. There are varying opinions on what works and how it works.
This image came out nice so I will give it a try.

Joe Hillmann
10-24-2011, 1:50 PM
I just gave this a try and had mixed results. The first try at it lit on fire and covered the entire inside of the cabinet and optics with soot which scared the crap out of me. After I got it all cleaned up I ran it again but on the bare glass. It turned out pretty good. I found that it looks even nice if I rub oil into the engraving, it makes it look more, grayscale rather than black and white.

Frank Corker
10-24-2011, 7:41 PM
I have to be honest that I have not tried using masking tape over the glass, personally I doubt his finish will be as good as the wet newspaper, but one thing is for sure, his would be a lot more messy to tidy up after. Although he engraved the picture as a negative, he engraved the writing so that it could be read from the engraved side, surely he should have engraved the other side. Now every time he uses a cloth that has a little dirt attached to it is going to stay inside the engraved area, plus people do have a tendency to want to rub their greasy fingers on the surface, it would be a lot harder to clean. All told, nice job, just a waste of time to do it.