PDA

View Full Version : G0690 v-belts Vibrating

James Combs
10-23-2011, 7:56 PM
A few days ago I noticed an odd vibration coming from my G0690 table saw.:eek: I open the access door with the saw running and I noted that one of the three belts was flopping around extremely loosely. I turned the saw off and examined the belt a little closer and found it to have worn spaghetti thin on one side. The two remaining belts were in pretty good shape for year old belts. I got a pair of side cutters and snip the worn belt in two and removed it. The saw is now running on two belts with no appreciable vibration.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this, if so what do you think caused it? :confused:

Now I am in the market for a new set of belts however, Grizzly customer service says they are back ordered until December. A third question, does anyone know of a second source for these belts? I would appreciate any info you might have on any of these questions.

I don't how long the saw will run on only two belts, it has to be adding a lot more stress on the two remaining belts. I think I have an extra used one around someplace, going to try to find it and see if it will match up with the remaining two enough to relieve some of the stress until I get a new set.

Cary Falk
10-23-2011, 9:30 PM
The G0690 is a clone of the Unisaw. I have read many Unisaw threads on OWWM( I had a 1970 at one time which restored) The general thought is that the old belts werenot as good at transfering the power to the to the blade. Many people run their Unisaw on one belt so I think 2 belts will be fine. The motor is locked in place so it is not like the weight of themotor is hanging on the belts. I would guess the pullies are not aligned or there is a burr on the inside of the pully. It could be that the belt was bad and just fell apart. I would bet the belts are the same length as the Uni also. Do a search on the OWWM website for Uni belts and you willl find a source for matched belt. I want to say Grangier but I can't remember. If I have time later I will do some searching.

John Lanciani
10-23-2011, 9:34 PM
Try here; http://www.usabearingsandbelts.com/ there should be a size printed on your current belt to cross reference. As far as only using only two belts, that is one more than you really need for the application so I wouldn't sweat it (late model Powermatic 66's only have two 3VX belts and my Rojek slider with a 3.6 hp motor only has one belt).

No affiliation, just one of my go to suppliers.

John