PDA

View Full Version : How to safely "apply battery voltage" to engine components ?

Stephen Tashiro
10-23-2011, 5:59 PM
Service manual for automobiles often give directions for testing the electrical components of engines that say to "apply battery voltage" to the component. For some components, this isn't a big deal But components like sensors that have two prongs close to each other and perhaps sunk into the plastic shell of connector, I find it hard to do this without creating some suspense about shorting out wires. Is there a safe and systematic way to go about this?

I've seen Youtubes of mechanics using devices that are specially made for checking sensors. They simply plug the device into the sensor. But there is such a variety of connectors on sensors - at least in my old cars. Do these testing devices have all sorts of adapters? Or are electrical connectors in modern engine more standardized?

jason thigpen
10-24-2011, 9:20 AM
look up the "power probe". i have one and use it everyday. the power probe III has an integrated volt meter. the tip is long enough to get into the connector without obstructing your view of the pins. the led lights help as well. plus you can apply power AND ground if needed.