PDA

View Full Version : Fret saw size?

David Wadstrup
10-23-2011, 4:40 PM
Hello,

I'm in the market for a fret saw. I have a 3", 5", and 8" available to me. I'm wondering what size you'd suggest getting. Obviously, I've ruled out the 3" as too small. I'm sure the 8" would cover more applications than the 5", but I think I'd rather have the better balance of the 5" if there really wouldn't be that great of a benefit to having the full 8" size. What do you guys think? Is the 8" way more useful? Is the 5" way better balanced?

I'd love to hear your opinions.

Thanks,

David

Trevor Walsh
10-23-2011, 4:43 PM
What are you applications, I use a 3" with #5 skip tooth blades (the blade is twisted to 45 degrees to clear the stock) to cut the waste for dovetails.

David Wadstrup
10-23-2011, 4:53 PM
I'd use it most for dovetails, but would like to have it as an option for other small scale, curved cuts.

Trevor Walsh
10-23-2011, 9:25 PM
If it will be used vertically, that is blade vertical, then the throat depth isn't a huge deal, rotating it blade-horizontal can cause some fun steering issues if it's really big. I'd go with whatever you do more of.

Greg Wease
10-23-2011, 9:57 PM
I have 3", 5" and 12" fret saws and use the 5" by far the most. I have never cut dovetails that required greater than a 5" throat to clear out waste. The 12" is a bear to use.

Mike Holbrook
10-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Check out the small bowsaw with specially made blades 12" offered by Tools for Making Wood. You can buy a finished saw or parts to make your own. Knew Concepts makes a fret type saw that I believe Derek Cohen had some input on the design of, very nice with quite a few technical advances if you want to do technical work. I ran a thread on blades for this saw when I bought mine:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?160973-Blades-for-Knew-concepts-quot-Fret-quot-saw&highlight=

David Wadstrup
10-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the input. I actually already have Garmercy's bow saw. It's great, and I really love it. The fret saw, though, just seems like it will be a bit easier and more convenient for many tasks. I just ordered the 5" from Knew Concepts, and spent some time looking over your post on blades -- it was very helpful. I ordered a couple of dozen of the Pegas #7 from D&D Sawblades (http://www.dndsawbladesonline.com/). The other place seems to have a minimum order amount that I didn't want to have to meet. Also, D&D ships free.

Thanks,

David