PDA

View Full Version : using the older photograv program

stan kern
10-23-2011, 3:46 PM
photograv have cherry and mahogany for wood material selections would anyone have a pine or maple parameter settings

Rodne Gold
10-23-2011, 4:18 PM
I use cherry for everything , wood , marble , plastics, leather etc ... seems to work great.

Frank Corker
10-23-2011, 6:23 PM
Nah, Rodney's right, use the Cherry, you could be fiddling around forever trying to find the holy grail.

Martin Boekers
10-23-2011, 7:03 PM
I use cherry for everything , wood , marble , plastics, leather etc ... seems to work great.

What! You use PhotoGrav?!:eek:

The creator of the Gold Method!:eek:

Just kidding, I couldn't resist!:D

Bill Cunningham
10-23-2011, 9:06 PM
Cherry is the Swiss Army Knife of the Photograv settings.. I scanned a piece of baltic birch w/horz. grain, and saved it with exactly the same parameters as the cherry image, so now when it shows a sample, is shows it on Baltic birch(you could use a scan of any wood that you use regularly). The cherry image was pretty useless because it resembled nothing I actually used.. I have added this image below, just unzip it and copy it to your photograv 'material' directory.. Don't change the name, it has to say cherry, but will display the BB w/Horz grain.. You can do this with any material if you don't like the photograv image

stan kern
10-23-2011, 10:21 PM
thanks to all ,i have been also using cherry for all and seems fine.
I appreciate the feedback its reassuring to hear from the experts

Rodne Gold
10-24-2011, 2:07 AM
P/grav is easier to use for my staff than the gold method ;)
I just "developed" it (with others input for corel scripts etc) cos I think photograv is a little bit of a rip off....

Martin Boekers
10-24-2011, 6:44 AM
I couldn't resist Rodne,:) I use PG quite a bit as I pretty much know what result
I will get. 1,2 3! Quick and easy. I use PG every day or 2, but yes I feel it is
too expensive. On the other hand it has paid for itself a few times over, so I
guess for me it was worth it, but you have to use it. A better way to spend the $$
would be upgrading Corel than buying PG.

I have been using Roy Brewer's method of half toning in Corel, I do have to say that
works pretty well itself! So lately I have been using that more than PG.

stan kern
10-24-2011, 9:11 AM
Rodney
What is the gold method? and are you still happy with your new machines (chinese)

Rodne Gold
10-24-2011, 10:06 AM
The gold method is an alternative to photograv , but its free , search the forums here for it , I think Frank Corker really formalised it and made Corel scripts and PS actions which he posted.
Well , we are using the chinese lasers 8 hrs a day 5 days a week , they holding up well and are doing the same quality work as any of my other ones. Have had no issues at all with em...havent used any of the raftload of spares barring a red diode

I wanted to fiddle some more on them and really try some arcane and complex stuff with em to see exactly how various settings influence stuff and what all the settings and options do..and re write the chinglish manuals..I can't get time on them to fiddle.. Ces't la vie.. has to wait till next year.
I shall only be buying these type machines when my mainstreams expire or theit tubes go , I can easily live with their small shortcomings , they also improve em all the time as well.
Im looking at a twin head 1500 x 1200 mm machine with 2 Reci 150w tubes for next yr , cutting only applications..mainly acrylic. Maybe some "gross" engraving , space permitting..its gonna be a big machine.