PDA

View Full Version : Framing nailer

Jerry Bruette
10-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Anybody have any experience with Surebonder brand framing nailers? Borg has one on sale for $60 but can't find any reviews.

Thanks

Jerry

Craig Michael
10-23-2011, 7:55 PM
Never even heard that name before. If it's going to be for home use or something where you just can't justify an expensive purchase, just get a good used one. The two best framing nailers are hitachi and Max, Bostitch has some fans too. About 7 years ago I picked up an hitachi NR83A, those are bullet proof and just work with no problems forever. I never like getting cheap new tools, I always look for quality used ones. Check out the local craigslist or ebay, you'll be able to get some great options. Check locally for the types of nails that are available and make sure you are buying a nailer that can handle that type of nail. The most popular type of framing gun nail is the 22 1/2 degree plastic collated, that's what most nailers use but there are some other types too.

Dave Zellers
10-23-2011, 8:07 PM
+1 on the Hitachi full head strip nailer. Bought one used 10 years ago and it's there for me every time I need it.

Even after sitting idle for a year.

They are rock solid.

Von Bickley
10-23-2011, 8:47 PM
Never heard of Surebonder.....

The big names around here are Hitachi and Senco.

Jason Roehl
10-23-2011, 10:19 PM
Whatever you get, don't get something that uses paper-collated nails. Even a little humidity makes the strips fall apart and/or cause jams in the nailer.

phil harold
10-24-2011, 7:47 AM
My duofasts are over 20 years old, just have to replace some o-rings occasionally

The lighter the nailer the less it will drive a 3.5" nail into a LVL...

For occasional use the nailer should be fine, if your building a house or two I would look at the Hitachi or the coil from senco or bostitch

you can always go to a pneumatic tool repair and ask them which tools have the bets track record

Curt Harms
10-24-2011, 7:50 AM
Never heard of Surebonder.....

The big names around here are Hitachi and Senco.

I think Surebonder is sorta like a store name. I've heard of their T50-type pneumatic staple guns that do what they're supposed to but don't know about durability. If I need a framing nailer I'm gonna look at Big Sky Tools AKA Reconditioned Sales (http://bigskytool.com/Framing_Nailers___c340.aspx). Right now they have Hitachi NR90AES refurbs for $112 plus shipping. Prices and availability vary - these usually go for $135.

Jay Jeffery
10-28-2011, 6:12 PM
I've seen that "brand" at Northern Tool. Is that the "Borg" you refer to, or is it a more normal home center?

Jerry Bruette
10-28-2011, 8:19 PM
I've seen that "brand" at Northern Tool. Is that the "Borg" you refer to, or is it a more normal home center?

As normal as Menards is.

They have a model 9773 on sale for $60. I passed it up today when I was told that if the nailer didn't perform up to my expectattions I wouldn't be able to return it.

Craig Michael
10-28-2011, 8:35 PM
As normal as Menards is.

They have a model 9773 on sale for $60. I passed it up today when I was told that if the nailer didn't perform up to my expectattions I wouldn't be able to return it.

Get a used Hitachi. The things are bullet proof and very plentiful on craigslist.

Rich Engelhardt
10-29-2011, 11:00 AM
Probably just as well.
I struggled with a HF framing nailer for all of 15 min. before getting disgusted w/it.
I ended up with a Bostitch F28WW.
The thing is an animal!

Jerry Bruette
10-29-2011, 5:29 PM
Probably just as well.
I struggled with a HF framing nailer for all of 15 min. before getting disgusted w/it.
I ended up with a Bostitch F28WW.
The thing is an animal!

I told the clerk at Menards that I don't want to have to launch the thing off the roof of the cabin I'm going to build if it didn't perform.

Ronald Blue
10-29-2011, 6:34 PM
Surebonder isn't unique to Menards. I was in there today and saw the one you referenced. I saw they have several brands to choose from including Hitachi. Here is a link to them. As info.
http://www.surebonder.com/products.asp?choice=vend

Matt Meiser
10-29-2011, 6:39 PM
I got a Hitachi at lowes last summer and it seems decent for an occasional project homeowner. One nice thing is that they sell nails in project size instead of house size boxes.