PDA

View Full Version : So this is what the Vortex does to a person

John M. Smith
10-23-2011, 8:31 AM
Looking around my shop yesterday I realize I have a problem. Maybe even an addiction.......

My windowsills are becoming breeding grounds for lathe tools.210963
My planer is a storage area for lathe related sandpaper.210960
My shaper has tools on that don't fit in the windowsill. 210964
My jointer is another breeding ground for lathe related stuff.210961
And my entertainment center I started last October still sits covered with nothing done to it. 210966

Is there any help for this addiction? Or shall I just downsize my shop and be happy only turning?:eek::eek:

John Keeton
10-23-2011, 8:41 AM
John, join the crowd!!! I often think my shop has become a museum for flatwork tools! With my OCD issues, I don't have stuff stacked on my other tools, but I do find myself blowing dust off of them and wondering if there is some reason to keep all those neat tools!! Someday (I keep telling myself this!) I am going to do some more flat work!!

Nice shop, BTW - or, at least, what I can see of it!!!:D

So, where does the Monster hollowing rig live when it comes in??? You are out of flat space!

Greg Just
10-23-2011, 8:42 AM
Looks a lot like my shop, only cleaner!

Sid Matheny
10-23-2011, 8:46 AM
You don't have any problems as you are a lot more organized than I and my shop are! :rolleyes:

Sid

Bernie Weishapl
10-23-2011, 9:04 AM
Don't see a problem myself except your shop is cleaner than mine.

Dick Wilson
10-23-2011, 9:58 AM
Hi John, Your are not that deep in the vortex yet. When it gets to the point that you have to figure out how to turn the flat board machines on ( like myself ) then you will know that you are forever doomed to an existance calling the vortex home. All I can suggest is that you move in your easy chair, a cube refigerator, a stereo to play your favorite tunes, and of course the coffee maker.:D:D:D

John M. Smith
10-23-2011, 10:04 AM
John, I also am somewhat OCD. The mess drives me nuts! But there always seems to be another project that keeps me from building any storage cabinets. I built my shop 8 years ago and have only got my drill bit storage cabinet done:D I also have the second floor of my 3 stall garage that would make you cry if you seen it .

John M. Smith
10-23-2011, 10:06 AM
Dick, Don't drink coffee. Nasty stuff. Second, don't think I will forget how to run flatwork machines as that is what I do for 10 hours a day at my real job :) That's what pays for my addiction.

Donny Lawson
10-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Looks like you are in it for the long haul. Congrats.

Bill Bolen
10-23-2011, 11:47 AM
It would be just plain silly to downsize your shop John. Where would you dry your bowl blanks or store your gouges??

Steve Vaughan
10-23-2011, 2:00 PM
John, I understand. Yes, it is a problem:Dand there probably help available (somewhere). I got a bed (in my mind) that my wife has been wanting me to make for a loooong time. The four bedposts would be turned and that's a bonus. In fact, I nearly started making it when I first got my upgraded lathe but I started practicing on bowls and such. Well, the bed is yet to be made up. And yep, lathe tools are everywhere. It's a serious problem and I sort of love it that way.:D

Jon McElwain
10-23-2011, 3:46 PM
Yup, definitely have an addiction problem - better lay off those pistachios before it really gets out of hand. Good luck to you friend.

David DeCristoforo
10-23-2011, 4:03 PM
Entertainment center? Ha. That's a good one. Once you start this turning thing, your "entertainment center" will be the spot right in front of your lathe. You might as well sell off all that plywood and stuff....

Steve Campbell
10-23-2011, 4:08 PM
John just a word of caution on the jointer. I bring chunks of green wood down in the shop and cut them up with an electric chainsaw. Just remember to not leave half a green log sitting on the jointer bed. Nasty rust stain now.. LOL.
Do as I say not as I do.

Steve

Jamie Donaldson
10-23-2011, 7:41 PM
John, I don't believe your conversion to the round side is yet complete, as I didn't see a tablesaw stacked with bowls ready to be finished? But you're off to a good start, so keep turning!

John M. Smith
10-23-2011, 8:08 PM
Jamie, Tablesaw and outfeed table is covered too. Just didn't get pics of them. Luckily I like segmented turning, so I get to use all the flatwork machinery.

Jeff Fagen
10-23-2011, 8:45 PM
The only flat work I've done in the last two years is to make some quick shelves and fixtures for the VORTEX....Hhhhhep!!!

Baxter Smith
10-23-2011, 9:20 PM
I almost find these kinds of threads depressing. Guess they strike to close to home.;):)

Jonathan Smith
10-23-2011, 9:40 PM
As a new turner I can relate, or as a friend said, be careful, you may never make another piece of furniture again!

Next thing you know we'll be buying chainsaws!

Jonathan

John Beaver
10-23-2011, 9:41 PM
John, join the crowd!!! I often think my shop has become a museum for flatwork tools! With my OCD issues, I don't have stuff stacked on my other tools, but I do find myself blowing dust off of them and wondering if there is some reason to keep all those neat tools!! Someday (I keep telling myself this!) I am going to do some more flat work!!

John, you should get into segmented work, justifies owning all those other tools. There are times when I use almost every tool in my shop just to make a bowl. With your skills you could do some cool stuff.

Jonathan Smith
10-23-2011, 9:45 PM
John is right!

Segmented turning seems like a great way to use up all those shorts left over from furniture projects and a great reason to keep that table saw!

Jonathan

David Gilbert
10-24-2011, 8:38 AM
I think that I have this problem too but I don't have all these extra tools. The entertainment center comment hit a nerve. A bookcase wall-unit has been on the drawing board (SketchUp) and SWMBO's list for quite a while. I assessed my flat-board delivery rate and decided to contract out the wall unit. It essentially came down to the good-cheap-fast question where you get to pick two. In this case I was afraid that the question was good-cheap-never. As a result, in less than a month we have a full wall in our office filled with cabinets and bookcases. Needless to say my wife is very happy and so am I. By the way,I'm going downstairs to do some turning.

Cheers,
David

phil harold
10-24-2011, 10:11 PM
could turn your tablesaw into a disc sander for truing up segments for segmented projects

Jim Leslie
10-25-2011, 12:11 AM
John - I am in exactly the same boat as you! Including fireplace built-ins started more than a year ago.
Therapy doesn't help this addiction; save your money and spend it on tools instead..

John M. Smith
10-25-2011, 5:42 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I do use the saw for cutting segments. Need to get the jointer and planer dug out for an upcoming segmented project. I have a couple in mind. Jim, I spent too much at Ohio Symposium so my tool buying is on hold......except for the Sorry bowl scraper I just bought at wood craft..........and...........:-)

Ronald Campbell
10-26-2011, 9:25 PM
John I am sorry you just spend too much time at work. Retire and find out how much fun turning can be when you do it when you want. Give up the flat work. You could be turning burls like you are now and doing it when you want. Too much work

John M. Smith
10-26-2011, 9:46 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Ron. Don't think I'll be retiring anytime soon. Gotta pay for my habit somehow. Maybe I can have the shop cleaner for you next time:D