PDA

View Full Version : A Photo Story of Rims....

Wally Dickerman
10-22-2011, 6:13 PM
The rim of a bowl or hollowform deserves more attention than it often gets. If well done it can greatly enhance the appearance of a vessel. A plain, flat rim is unattractive. A better, more appealing design is at right angle to the outside of the bowl, leaving the edge crisp,, and perhaps with a slight convex or concave curve. A rounded or beaded rim works well. Grooves, beads, texturing, carving, pyrography, or the use of contrasting woods may be used to emphasize a rim, or to effectively enhance a plain piece of wood.

A natural edge rim, either a bark rim or a rim featuring the rough surface of a burl works well on a bowl or hollowform.

The following photos are examples of rims that I think need no further explanation. The first 3 photos were taken while the piece was still mounted on the chuck, and are of the same piece of wood. I roughed out a plain blank and then turned off each rim treatment to turn another, after taking a photo. They are unfinished.

Some of these pics I've posted here before, others I haven't.

I welcome comments and suggestions of your own work.

Wally Dickerman
10-22-2011, 6:15 PM
Scroll down...there are 8 more rims....

Harvey M. Taylor
10-22-2011, 6:21 PM
Now Wally, that is a keeper. Am filing it along with other treatments. Thanks a bunch. Max.

Bill Neddow
10-22-2011, 6:25 PM
Thanks, Wally. This is great. I have always said that little enhancements can make the difference between what looks like a beginner's bowl and a master's. You have really illustrated what I was attempting to say.

Wally Dickerman
10-22-2011, 6:26 PM
There are as many more as you can dream up. Not all of mine have been my favorites, but I can dream up more.

Richard Allen
10-22-2011, 7:17 PM
What a treat!!! We are being Wallyed and nothing could be finner. You are a treasure and thank you so much for sharing.

Bernie Weishapl
10-22-2011, 7:19 PM
Thank you for sharing Wally. Those are beautiful.

Bill Bolen
10-22-2011, 7:23 PM
Thanks for sharing Wally. Each and everyone is gorgeous and truly "gloat worthy"!

Tom Winship
10-22-2011, 7:23 PM
Thanks for sharing, Wally. You move the bar up every time you post.

Dick Wilson
10-22-2011, 7:40 PM
Amazing work. Just amazing.

Wally Dickerman
10-22-2011, 8:38 PM
Thanks Bill...I couldn't agree more that little enhancements can make a big difference in the appeal of a bowl.

John Keeton
10-22-2011, 8:42 PM
Wally, I hope you don't mind - I merged the two threads so all of this great library of info would be kept together. This is good stuff!! Along with all the great rim treatments, we get to see some more of your fine work - and, some really great looking woods!

David DeCristoforo
10-22-2011, 9:20 PM
Those are some nice lookin' rims. And I'm not talkin' about your truck! Lots of nice ways to dress up a turning!

Jon Nuckles
10-22-2011, 9:47 PM
Thank you, Wally. I saved the ones I can use now as well as the ones I can hope to do later!

Allan Ferguson
10-22-2011, 9:49 PM
In agreement with the other responses. Sometimes just that little bit extra just makes the piece something special instead of OH-HUM.

David E Keller
10-22-2011, 11:27 PM
Lovely work, Wally! You never cease to inspire!

Marc Himes
10-23-2011, 5:24 AM
What a great post! It is a true pleasure to see so many fine pieces. I agree with you completely. Enhancements can really add interest to a turned piece. Thanks for showing so many examples.

Wally Dickerman
10-23-2011, 1:35 PM
Thanks for consolidating the posts John....I haven't figured out how to do that myself.

Baxter Smith
10-23-2011, 9:31 PM
Thanks for posting Wally. Simple yet elegant.

Wally Dickerman
10-24-2011, 1:24 PM
Those are some nice lookin' rims. And I'm not talkin' about your truck! Lots of nice ways to dress up a turning!

Well David, my truck rims aint bad either!!

Kenny Jacobson
10-24-2011, 3:14 PM
Thanks, Wally, for sharing. I have to admit you are the person I go to the most when I'm looking for some inspiration and something to practice (read: imitate).