PDA

View Full Version : Bosch jig saw, which one?

mreza Salav
10-22-2011, 4:59 PM
I am thinking of getting a better (than my ugly junk) jigsaw. I have tried Festool and it's not "that" much better than Bosch it seems. I see Bosch has a few models, in the larger ones there is the tried and true 1590 and 1591 and there is apparently a newer model JS470. It seems the 1590 are still made in Switzerland which I think is a plus. Which ones do you recommend? I am open to other suggestions too. I don't use a jigsaw a lot but sure it's better to have a good one when I need it. thanks

Paul Incognito
10-22-2011, 5:06 PM
I purchased 2 newer Bosch jigsaws recently, 1 for the truck and 1 for the shop. I don't know the model numbers on either one, but the one for the truck has the old blade changing mechanism with the top that unscrews then you turn the blade sideways to get it out. The 1 for the shop is bigger and has a sliding knob that ejects the blade. Both work well. The one in the shop is my preference, just because of the easier blade changes.
Hope this helps, next time I'm at the shop I'll check the model numbers.
Paul

Greg R Bradley
10-22-2011, 6:32 PM
The Bosch 1590 D-Hande & 1591 Barrel Grip are the professional quality jig saws from Bosch. There is a new series designed to look better "on paper" designed to be sold to people that don't know the difference. These are the JS470 & JS471. They are missing the additional support rollers and German/Swiss quality. Only the pro stores still sell the 1590/1591.

Bosch is now selling the 1590/1591 as the 1590EVSL and 1591EVSL which include the dust collection option and the Sortimo Case system for about $180-210.

The Festool Trion is just about exactly the same thing as the 1590/1591. They even use the same blades. The difference is that the Trion has carbide lower guides and the Bosch has rollers. Bosch has trigger actuated variable speed and dial max speed on the D-Handle and the Festool has only on/off trigger and dial max speed.

Gene Howe
10-22-2011, 7:06 PM
I bought the 1590 after fighting with a DeWalt for 3 months. I've never used a better jigsaw.

phil harold
10-22-2011, 7:16 PM
I like my barrel grip!

mreza Salav
10-22-2011, 8:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I thought 1590-1591 were the better ones and you have confirmed my guess.

Jim Finn
10-22-2011, 9:10 PM
I agree with Phill I like my barrel grip Bosch

Kevin Presutti
10-22-2011, 9:19 PM
I personally would buy the 1590 EVSK-RT it comes with the case from CPO BOSCH Recon with same warranty as new $135.65 plus shipping like $7.00 or new $169.99 plus shipping. It's the cheapest I've found occasionally they have a 20% off but you have to watch for it.

mreza Salav
10-22-2011, 9:52 PM
Thanks Kevin. I'm here in Canada and have a local store that has them on sale this month for $179 in those nice solid cases.

Mark Ashmeade
10-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Has anyone tried the JSH-180? I have a Litheon combo kit, but the jigsaw wasn't available last year.

Chris Harper
10-22-2011, 10:54 PM
I am thinking of getting a better (than my ugly junk) jigsaw. I have tried Festool and it's not "that" much better than Bosch it seems. I see Bosch has a few models, in the larger ones there is the tried and true 1590 and 1591 and there is apparently a newer model JS470. It seems the 1590 are still made in Switzerland which I think is a plus. Which ones do you recommend? I am open to other suggestions too. I don't use a jigsaw a lot but sure it's better to have a good one when I need it. thanks

I have the 1587 with the much maligned blade change mechanism. I have used a 1590 but never changed a blade in one. I would get a 1590 if you can find one. I do like my 1587 but the blade change mechanism is hit or miss. You just never know how many times you'll have to spin that top lever to unlock or lock the blade in. Also, the top lever no longer locks in place when you push it down. I even had to push a finishing nail up into the blade holder to re connect to the clutch mechanism. Fortunately I found an old forum post on how to do that. But even then it never "clicked" like it was supposed to when re tightening.

But to be clear, it cuts very well. I have to cut some gentle curves in some thick Douglas Fir tomorrow. We'll see how it does.

The 1590 I tried did seem a bit more powerful when cutting 18mm Russian Birch plywood so I do think the extra power is useful. But maybe it had a blade in it I don't have for mine.

Hopefully Bosch will come out with a Swiss made 1590 cordless equivalent that runs on litheum ion. Of course the mention in a previous reply of a 1590 with dust collection will have me off to google after I hit "Submit Reply".

Robert Chapman
10-23-2011, 9:40 PM
I have a 1591 [Barrel Grip] and it is the best jig saw I have ever had. The barrel grip is so much easier to control than models with the grip on top. The blade change mechanism works very well. Vibration is minimal. It's one of my go-to tools.

Matt Mackinnon
10-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks Kevin. I'm here in Canada and have a local store that has them on sale this month for $179 in those nice solid cases.

is this store a canada wide retailer, or just a store in Edmonton? I'm wondering as I'd be interested in getting a propper jigsaw too.

Matt.

mreza Salav
10-23-2011, 11:29 PM
is this store a canada wide retailer, or just a store in Edmonton? I'm wondering as I'd be interested in getting a propper jigsaw too.

Matt.

KMS tools has it in this months flyer. They have a stores in western Canada but don't know about the east. Maybe online?

Mac McQuinn
10-24-2011, 12:48 AM
I have the Bosch 1591 Barrel grip which has the anti-chip insert and button for blade guides, both very desirable features. On a recent project, I was cutting quite a bit of marine ply and the project plans called for a template and router table to accomplish the job although I don't like all the router dust/mess and figured I'd try the Bosch. I layed out everything with a good sharp pencil and was able to saw to my lines very easily, holding accuracy very well. No blade cant or chip out. Excellent tool.

Mac

Tom Blank
10-24-2011, 12:55 AM
I have the 1590EVSK, it is a great saw and does a really nice job. Blade guide works, minimal vibration, great cuts with the Bosch blades. The specs look very similar to the current 1590EVSL. Conversely, do not expect anything at all from the dust collector (vacuum attachment) and you will still be disappointed. It does not work well at all without the front baffle in place. With the baffle attached it is difficult to see the layout lines and it still does not work. Also, the hose will not stay connected to the attachment.

Great saw, crappy dust collector. I'd still get another one.

Mac McQuinn
10-24-2011, 1:23 AM
Tom,
I totally agree about the dust collection. I've found this saw runs smoothly enough and holds a line so well, I've actually been able to guide the saw w/ my left hand while holding a Vac hose dust pick-up with my right to achieve a pretty efficient job of grabbing the dust at the source.

Mac

I have the 1590EVSK, it is a great saw and does a really nice job. Blade guide works, minimal vibration, great cuts with the Bosch blades. The specs look very similar to the current 1590EVSL. Conversely, do not expect anything at all from the dust collector (vacuum attachment) and you will still be disappointed. It does not work well at all without the front baffle in place. With the baffle attached it is difficult to see the layout lines and it still does not work. Also, the hose will not stay connected to the attachment.

Great saw, crappy dust collector. I'd still get another one.

Will Blick
10-24-2011, 7:31 AM
Dust collection on a jig saw is a tough gig.... even if you collect at the top, most escapes below the material being cut....so its a bit fruitless IMO...its one of those tools, you wear a dust mask and vac up right after...
I have the 1590EVSK, using it for a few years.... I really liked it, hated the blade changes....recently, saw the DW 18V cordless for DC330, $60 on sale at Amazon, (tool only, I already had the batteries) I thought it would be good for non-shop work where power was not accessible. Long story short, the saw is so well made, so POWERFUL, FAST blade change-outs, and the obvious no cord issue..... I retired my Bosch. Its no contest. The 18 V battery lasts forever...unless you plan to use it 6 hrs a day, its hard to kill the battery. This was a wake-up call for me, seeing just how great these cordless tools have become.

Jerome Hanby
10-24-2011, 7:57 AM
I got my Festool from a fellow 'creeker for a little less than I could have bought the "equivalent" Bosch. It's the best jig saw on which I've ever laid hands. I used it with the Festool track and it made fantastic cuts. Of course the track doesn't line up with the cut like it does with the plunge saw. but a little tape measure work was worth the result...

Amin Djellaoui
01-06-2012, 4:01 PM
I did some research on jigsaws, the only people who exhibit their tool anatomy are Metabo and Hilti. Hilti goes farther than that, they have online technical schematics for every tool. That's professional.

Here's an example: Orbital jig saw WSJ 850-EB (http://www.us.hilti.com/fstore/holus/techlib/docs/tool_schematics/woodcutting/wsj850-eb.pdf.).
You'll not have to buy the tool to be able to know what's really inside!

Old Bosch is dead for ever, all they're selling is their big brand name.

Lee Schierer
01-06-2012, 9:13 PM
Get the Bosch barrel grip 1591 and the progressor t-234X blades and you'll be amazed at the quality and smoothness of the cut even in hardwood. Super smooth cuts that rival TS cut quality but they don't cut curves well.

Mike Manders
01-12-2012, 3:25 PM
If you're cheap, like me, you can still find a factory recon'd Bosch 1587 from place like CPO. I bought mine a few months back for $75.00. The 1587 is the old gold standard; the newer ones are slightly more refined versions of the same basic design. You can't get better bang for the buck then that.

Bill White
01-12-2012, 3:40 PM
Any one ya want to send to me. I have an inexpensive DeWalt that will "do", but not really accurate. It is what I have, and I probably won't dump it.
Bill

Cliff Furman
01-14-2012, 7:33 PM
If you're cheap, like me, you can still find a factory recon'd Bosch 1587 from place like CPO. I bought mine a few months back for $75.00. The 1587 is the old gold standard; the newer ones are slightly more refined versions of the same basic design. You can't get better bang for the buck then that.

But the 1587 has a handle. I love my old 1582vs, barrel grip