PDA

View Full Version : Fluted Mesquite Vase

Marc Himes
10-22-2011, 3:42 PM
One of my friends brought me some Mesquite when he returned from Arizona and I like the sap wood/heart wood contrast, so I tried to do another vase form with the dark heart wood showing in the inner parts of the flutes. The walls were turned too thin but this led to a "design opportunity".
Next time I won't hollow out quite as much. It is about 7" X 4" finished with WOP. Thanks for looking. C&C are welcome.

Richard Jones
10-22-2011, 3:46 PM
Great save Marc, wow. Reminds me of the Grand Canyon, windswept, water-eroded, etc.

Gorgeous. How come my boo-boos don't turn out that well? :)

Thanks for sharing.

Rich

John Keeton
10-22-2011, 4:00 PM
Next time I won't hollow out quite as much.On the contrary!!! I like this better than the solid flutes, and there are some wonderful opportunities for variations on the theme. Marc, you may be on to something really different here!! Nice contrast with the sapwood on the mesquite, too. This is kind of the look you were after with the juniper, I suppose?

John Beaver
10-22-2011, 6:15 PM
I agree with John K. The voids really work for me.
I might like to see a smaller opening at the top, but otherwise a very nice piece.

Harry Robinette
10-22-2011, 8:59 PM
Marc
I think like John K. and John B. the see through form is really beautiful but I think the top opening is a little big.
All said you did very good the piece IS beautiful.

Bernie Weishapl
10-22-2011, 9:43 PM
That is a beautiful piece and I agree your design opportunity and save was outstanding. I like it with the see thru.

Allan Ferguson
10-22-2011, 9:55 PM
This I like! It would make a great night light with the light projecting through the openings and casting the patter upon the walls and such. I may give it a go one of these days.

Marc Himes
10-23-2011, 4:54 AM
Thanks everyone. I am pleased with the way it turned out and plan to do more along the line of openings in the flutes. I also liked how the the fluting brought out some interesting patterns in the grain and yes I would make the top smaller. I am glad you enjoyed the piece.

Michelle Rich
10-23-2011, 7:38 AM
I saw the first & liked it, but I luv this.. you got the openings centered in the grain variations just perfectly. A very appealing vessel