PDA

View Full Version : Hickory 3-footed ne

Bill Bolen
10-22-2011, 2:42 PM
I believe this is "pig nut" Hickory if memory serves. The heart wood seems to be in the "love it or hate it" group. Rather than having a flowing brownish heart wood this stuff has a lot of lighter colored flakes of whitish grain in every piece I've turned. Sometimes I like other times not so much...but free wood is just that. Three feet seems to be my preferred form on most sizable NE"s anymore. Solves a lot of problems with wood movement and the bowl not sitting straight after a few months of drying. Sorry about forgetting to get a straight on bottom shot. Old age does play a part here! 14" X 4" or so and finished with home-brew DO then topped off with 2 coats of satin WOP.

Michelle Rich
10-22-2011, 2:48 PM
I like the 3 feet..like a stool with 3 , it will set well anywhere! very pretty vessel

John Keeton
10-22-2011, 4:02 PM
Nice work, Bill! When I opened that first pic, I got the immediate impression of an old rustic boat headed my way - kinda neat!

Marc Himes
10-22-2011, 4:06 PM
Neat NE bowl. Great idea with the 3 foot design so the piece can move and still stay stable. Thanks for posting it.

ray hampton
10-22-2011, 6:11 PM
Nice work, Bill! When I opened that first pic, I got the immediate impression of an old rustic boat headed my way - kinda neat!

Boat, HMMM, the picture remind me of a slice of bacon cooking , you know sea food

Bernie Weishapl
10-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Bill that is a neat NE. I do like the feet on it.

David E Keller
10-22-2011, 10:29 PM
Very cool! One of the nicer NE pieces I've seen in a while!

Curt Fuller
10-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Very nice Bill. I like how the feet elevate the bowl.

Steve bellinger
10-23-2011, 6:17 AM
Bill i also like how the feet bring this NE bowl to a different level.Great job man.

Bill Bolen
10-23-2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks all...Ha! It does look like an old row boat coming at you!!

David DeCristoforo
10-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Nice one! The feet really work. I don't see a boat or bacon either. I'm surprised that no one has said "nice job of keeping the bark intact. But since no one has, I will. Nice job of keeping the bark intact.

Baxter Smith
10-23-2011, 9:34 PM
Neat effect with the feet Bill. I have a couple hickory roughouts I did last fall from Ken Hills that have similar heartwood if I remember correctly. Thought it might have been caused by spalting but maybe not.