PDA

View Full Version : nights are pitch black

Kevin Gregoire
10-22-2011, 2:32 PM
i dont know about anyone else but i live in south dakota and i have noticed the past several years
that at night i dont think the moon is ever out anymore cause it is black as coal. i look out my back door
before bed and i can barely see my garage door that is twelve feet away and its like that most every night.

has anyone else noticed this and what is the problem? i miss a nice bright moonlit night.

Phil Thien
10-22-2011, 2:41 PM
Maybe, for whatever reason, it has been overcast at night?

David G Baker
10-22-2011, 4:59 PM
My ex-wife would have said "eat more carrots". The moon is still bright as ever here in Mid-Michigan so your lack of moon light may well be overcast sky as Phil wrote. With all of the weather pattern changes that we have experienced in the past few years many things have changed weather wise here in Michigan.

Jim Rimmer
10-22-2011, 7:37 PM
Full moon in Houston a couple of weeks ago. I'm guessing nighttime clouds.

Kevin Gregoire
10-22-2011, 7:42 PM
its hard to tell but there cant be clouds every single night for weeks upon weeks upon weeks can there??

Bruce Page
10-22-2011, 7:52 PM
I like the "eat more carrots" suggestion.

ray hampton
10-22-2011, 9:10 PM
Meanwhile in Kentucky, we got fast horses, bluegrass and the moon bow

John McClanahan
10-22-2011, 10:21 PM
No moon for the Dakotas. We are hogging it down here in the mid-west. :D:D

Jim Koepke
10-23-2011, 12:43 AM
its hard to tell but there cant be clouds every single night for weeks upon weeks upon weeks can there??

It also depends on what time of night you are looking.

A waning moon rises later in the evening. A new moon sets shortly after the sun.

In effect, if one week was overcast and the next two weeks were the last quarter and first quarter of the moon phase, then you might be able to look in the evening and not see a moon for week after week after week.

jtk

george wilson
10-23-2011, 9:44 AM
Are you getting cataracts?

Steven DeMars
10-23-2011, 3:30 PM
Perhaps it is a new "moonlight" savings plan to work with "daylight" saving . . . You know our government is always looking for ways to save money . . .

Although we have been having very bright full moons here . . . or maybe the earth really is flat ! ! !

Steve

Bryan Morgan
10-23-2011, 3:48 PM
Must be nice! I have several big telescopes I can't use because the nights here are always a muddy orangish-brown or purple... We have to use several layers of blinds, curtains, and pull covers to get it dark enough to sleep...

Charlie Reals
10-23-2011, 4:51 PM
A week or so ago the woods were lit up like broad daylight on the full moon. Any other time it is pitch black.

Michael Weber
10-23-2011, 6:19 PM
Are you getting cataracts?
That was my first thought as well. I'd see an ophthalmologist :eek:

Frank Drew
10-23-2011, 7:46 PM
Kevin, Get a calendar that notes the full moon; on those nights, look for it. If you can't see anything, including stars, then it's either overcast or you need your eyes checked, as has been mentioned.