PDA

View Full Version : Delta 46-745 Variable Speed Control (VFD) Fault reading

NICK BARBOZA
10-22-2011, 2:11 PM
Good Afternoon All,

I went to an auction this morning and picked up a Delta 46-745 1642 lathe. Got for $350, so I think I did alright.

It had minor surface rust on it, so I took care of that and lubed her up for a dry run. Once I put it all back together, I plugged it in and flipped the switch. The VFD had both the "power" and "fault" lights lit. I moved the speed control dial back and forth a number of times. The lights stayed lit and I could hear the normal 'hum' inside the controller; but obviously, there was no rotation of the motor.

I do know that this is a 3Ph 1.5hp motor and often times the VFD is particular about the incoming electricity. I tried a number of different circuits (all 20A breakers) in my shop, but it was all via +/-75' of extension cord because the lathe is in my garage and the shop is in the basement. I dont really have room for the new machine down there yet.

So the big question:
How can I troubleshoot the VFD "fault" reading? Are there things I can try in order to eliminate other possible causes for it? Could the length of the cord (14ga) cause this?

Thanks for all the help,
NWB

Cory Norgart
10-23-2011, 8:19 AM
Hey Nick, You probably need a 3 phase converter.

NICK BARBOZA
10-23-2011, 10:03 AM
No. The machine is 110V 1ph. within the VFD it converts the 1ph to 3ph powering the motor.

Steve Schlumpf
10-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Nick - I have a Jet 1642 that uses a Delta VFD-S controller. What model of controller is on your lathe? Also, seeing as how the lathe was slightly rusted, have you checked to make sure electrical contacts are clean - at least those you have access to? I am thinking mostly of the ground contact on the input AC power.

NICK BARBOZA
10-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Nick - I have a Jet 1642 that uses a Delta VFD-S controller. What model of controller is on your lathe? Also, seeing as how the lathe was slightly rusted, have you checked to make sure electrical contacts are clean - at least those you have access to? I am thinking mostly of the ground contact on the input AC power.

Steve,
The "Spec No." is IN0694B02. it is manufactured by Baldor.
I will pull the cover on the VFD and check the contacts.
Thanks,
Nick

Steve Schlumpf
10-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Well, in that case the VFD-S manual won't do you any good. Have you checked online using AC motor drives as a search? You might luck into something.

NICK BARBOZA
06-05-2014, 3:44 PM
As an update here. after a lot of research and attempted local repair; I just broke down and bought a new VFD from Wolf Automation. Scott there was VERY helpful and spent a while on the phone with me numerous times running through various scenarios.

I ordered this unit configured for a 2hp motor (motor on the lathe is only 1.5hp):
http://www.wolfautomation.com/Configure3.aspx?ProductID=28926&x=87&y=12

I got installed an was able to use the existing Delta on/off switch. Only real change for original is that this VFD uses 220v input vs the original 120v.

Cheers,
NWB