PDA

View Full Version : The Carnegie Exhibit

John Keeton
10-22-2011, 8:09 AM
I posted several days ago that my work had been chosen to be a part of a month long exhibit at The Carnegie (http://www.thecarnegie.com/) in Covington KY. The Carnegie was established in 1972 in a former Carnegie Library which originally was constructed in 1904, and is a 17,000 square foot facility that includes The Carnegie Galleries, crowned by a landmark Beaux Arts dome; the magnificent, newly renovated Otto M. Budig Theatre; and the Eva G. Farris Education center. It is the largest arts venue in Northern Kentucky. The original architecture is very ornate, and yet the interior renovations are very modern. Strangely, it all blends quite well.

This is the 50th year of the Kentucky Guild of Artists and Craftsmen (http://www.kyguild.org/), and there have been several exhibits statewide in celebration of that milestone. The curator of The Carnegie solicited applications from the over 400 members of the Guild, in various mediums, and selected those he desired to participate in this exhibit. I was fortunate to be one of two woodturners chosen - may have been only two that applied!!????:o. In any event, I was pleased.

The opening reception was last night, and I thought I would share some pics from the event.

It was well publicized, and an admission was charged. There was food and a cash bar, and it was obvious the crowd consisted of art lovers - lot of intense study of the works, and a lot of photographs were taken. It was a new experience for me, as I had folks truly intrigued by my work and asking questions I do not normally hear.

There was a constant crowd over the 3 hour period, and I would estimate that well over 400 people attended. There were other featured artist exhibits on the second floor, and a glass blowing team was set up outside working on a multi-piece "sculpture" that was to be completed by 8pm.

We took Ms. Keeton's "point and shoot" camera, so some of the pics aren't great.

This is the exterior of the Galleries portion.

The entrance from just inside the doors.

The view up to the second floor from the exhibit hall. The featured artist exhibits were in individual rooms on the second floor.

One of the original stairways in an area that is not used much - all quarter sawn white oak with the original finish - beautiful stuff!!

This is the entrance to the exhibit hall taken prior to the beginning of the reception.

My work was displayed in a glass case - the most fragile work there from what I saw. There was a jewelry artist chosen, and some of her work was in the case as well - a nice compliment to my pieces I felt.

This is the work of Mary McKinney, the other woodturner chosen to exhibit. Some beautiful work!

This is a blown glass exhibit - $47,000 for all the pieces as one exhibit!!! I felt humbled to be in the same event!!

John Keeton
10-22-2011, 8:15 AM
Just some more pics - this is the glass sculpture being assembled - it was interesting watching them hang these pieces! Each of them had a long, very thin, stem by which they hooked over the rings at the top.

The remaining pics are of the exhibit - the last one being one Ms. Keeton took of my exhibit and some folks talking to a white haired guy with a pony tail!!:D

210841 210842 210843 210844 210845 210846

Michelle Rich
10-22-2011, 8:40 AM
now that is one fancy shindig for a country boy!!! Congrats on being chosen.

Steve Schlumpf
10-22-2011, 9:01 AM
Excellent John! Sure looks like an upscale event if ever I saw one! Hope you enjoyed yourself and that the experience was a positive one for you and leads to bigger and better events! Thanks for sharing!

John Keeton
10-22-2011, 9:02 AM
now that is one fancy shindig for a country boy!!!Exactly the way I felt while there!! Sure ain't the hills of eastern KY!

I failed to mention that one of my pieces sold yesterday prior to the reception! Kind of made the event all that much more fun.

Nate Davey
10-22-2011, 9:23 AM
Congratulations John. I like your work much better than the wiggly glass. Awesome stair case as well, did you make it?:D

Sid Matheny
10-22-2011, 9:33 AM
John you look right at home with those folks. Thanks for sharing the photos, I enjoyed them.

Sid

mike ash
10-22-2011, 9:34 AM
Congratulations John. Your work certainly deserved to be there, and I'm glad your work is properly being appreciated. I suspect that it won't be long before you'll be asking Steve S. Q's about his Grey Robust friend.

Mike

Steve Vaughan
10-22-2011, 9:51 AM
That's a great big ole congratulations right there! Beautiful building and really great work, and what an honor that has to be. Congratulations!

Jim Burr
10-22-2011, 10:24 AM
Well done sir! Looks like a very well done exhibit all around.

Allan Ferguson
10-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Pretty neat experience, photos good to . There is nothing like this in my neighborhood. Well deserved.

Bernie Weishapl
10-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Congrats John. What a honor John and well deserved.

Doug W Swanson
10-22-2011, 10:37 AM
Wow, that's a nice event! It's a well deserved honor for you, John!

Curt Fuller
10-22-2011, 10:49 AM
That's really an honor to be have your work exhibited in such a beautiful venue. Congratulations and I hope it leads to even more sales and more exposure.

charlie knighton
10-22-2011, 10:50 AM
great event, just remember do not charge craft prices, you are with the artist

Richard Jones
10-22-2011, 11:26 AM
where the elite meet to eat..............

Very nice digs, for sure.

Congrats again for being selected for such an elite group.

And as far as the white-haired guy, my daddy always said, big possums walk late...............

Rich

Dick Wilson
10-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Quite an achivement my friend. This is a major marketing coup. The exposure will certainly lead to bigger bigger things. A sale at the showing is icing on the cake. Keep up the great work.....it is well deserved.

Kathy Marshall
10-22-2011, 1:05 PM
Congrats for being selected and congrats on the sale! May have been a big fancy shindig, but it looks like you fit right in! An honor to be chosen, but also an honor for the guests to see such beautiful work!

John Keeton
10-22-2011, 1:28 PM
I appreciate all the comments - it was a fun evening, and a lot of interesting folks - to say the least!! I am not much use to urbanites (sorry to have offended anyone!), but I did enjoy talking with them. There were obviously a lot of "monied" folks there, and that part I enjoyed seeing - hope they come back and buy!!:D

Baxter Smith
10-22-2011, 1:54 PM
Quite the venue John! Your work fits right in! Thanks for sharing the pics! Fascinating read!

Greg Just
10-22-2011, 1:59 PM
Congratulations John. An honor well deserved.

David DeCristoforo
10-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Almost slept right through this one! Great looking exhibit. Not sure I like the black cloth but it sure is a nice presentation of your work.

David E Keller
10-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Congrats, John! Looks like a fantastic venue and some well deserved recognition!

Rich Aldrich
10-22-2011, 10:37 PM
John - Congrats. That is really cool.

Alan Trout
10-22-2011, 11:01 PM
John,

I meant to say something this morning but had to go to work. Cool venue and a hearty congratulations,

Alan

BILL DONAHUE
10-22-2011, 11:11 PM
Congratulations! It looks like a first class event and in a very impressive looking building. Hey, is that Waylon Jennings in the center of picture 2 of 7 of the 2nd group? Maybe Waylon is pulling an Elvis!

Joe Watson
10-23-2011, 12:25 AM
This is a blown glass exhibit - $47,000 for all the pieces as one exhibit!!! :eek: That's twice as much for what i just paid for my brand new 2011 Frontier truck.

From the image it looks they did a good job displaying your work - good to here you enjoyed yourself and one of your pieces sold. Good luck in the future.

_

Marc Himes
10-23-2011, 5:17 AM
Congratulations John! Your work is amazing and well deserving of the occasion. It looks like a grand place with many very interesting works displayed. I would love to see it in person.

Norm Zax
10-23-2011, 6:30 AM
Well deserved honor! Wayto go.

John Keeton
10-23-2011, 7:59 AM
Thanks, again, for the comments!

David D., the black actually did pretty well with the turnings that were displayed as the inside surfaces of the back and sides were mirror - kind of a neat effect in person.

Bill D. - the "Waylon Jennings" fellow is actually Ron Cooper - a turner of sorts - he does segmented alabaster pieces. Neat fellow. I talked to him at length about the complex system of dust removal he uses, and how he buys the stone (by the ton!) and cuts it. Interesting looking pieces he makes, but I don't think I could handle the mess!! Just think how hard it would be to keep it "Keeton Klean"!!:D

Tim Rinehart
10-23-2011, 8:29 AM
Congrats John. Looks like a fantastic event, I'm sure you and your wife had a fantastic time. I think nice jewelry is a fitting compliment to wood turned items too.

ray hampton
10-23-2011, 3:36 PM
congrats , John , good show

Roland Martin
10-23-2011, 6:52 PM
Did you think two years ago you'd have come this far, this fast, John? This is a very impressive venue to be a part of and am trully happy for your success. Thanks for the update and pics.

Jeff Fagen
10-23-2011, 9:20 PM
Very nice hobnobbing with the elites John,your work is very deserving.I hope to have similar report later in the week.