PDA

View Full Version : Edge Plane LV or LN

Bill Fleming
10-21-2011, 11:19 PM
Planning to get an edge plane to clean up machine marks on edges. I am thinking that a LV is a little more flexible. Anyone have any thoughts or opinion?Thx Bill

James Owen
10-21-2011, 11:40 PM
My tool set includes the left and right LN edge planes. Having both makes it easy to deal with which ever way the grain runs...... They are very, very nicely made tools that do what they are supposed to do with no drama and no problems....

I've played with the right hand LV edge plane, but don't own one; also a very, very nice tool.

Which you choose probably depends mainly on whether you want bronze or iron, and whether you need 7/8" or 1" width capacity. The LV are a bit less expensive.

You really can't go wrong with either brand.

Bill Fleming
10-22-2011, 1:04 AM
James -thx for pointing out the width difference.

Derek Cohen
10-22-2011, 6:50 AM
Hi Bill

I have both the LN and the LV.

Several years ago I was in the market for these planes. The LV were also bronze at that time (which they no longer make). I looked at the two designs alongside one another and quickly concluded that the LV was slightly better finished. It was also slightly larger, which meant an increased working area. However I wanted a Right and a Left plane (for grain direction), and only LN offered a set, and so purchased the LN. I have never been sorry. They have been very reliable and helpful when needed. The years went by, LV stopped making the bronze model. I acquired the LV Anniversary SS model, which is a Right handed plane. The design of this plane improves on the LN, for example the blade adjuster is far easier to use on the LV (the LN have a lever and the LV a wheel). LV have now brought out a R and L model in ductile iron. If I was starting over again these are the ones I would get. I am still happy with the LN - these are not planes one resets much, so I do not notice this issue. However if you were to get the better design, it would be the LV. On the other hand the LN are bronze ... :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Eugenio Musto
10-22-2011, 6:54 AM
I suggest the LV: the 1" width of the blade is a great advantage over the LN.