PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Bat Bed

Lars Thomas
03-01-2005, 2:08 PM
Good day folks! My eldest son (9) has a baseball themed room and wanted a bed to match. As luck would have it, I designed a baseball ball bed when we first found out we were going to have a boy. The most amazing thing is I was able to find the original sketch I put together. I made this bed about 2-3 years ago, but I don't think I have ever posted details about it

The bed is made of Hard Maple with Cherry inlays. All of the wood is from Kirkland Sawmill in Kirkland IL. Some of you might be familiar with this place because some of the old Badger Ponders had a gathering or two at the mill.

The head/foot boards all sit in dados in the bats. I made a ‘cradle’ to hold the bats while routing the dados. The molding on the head and foot board is solid with a ½” dado to fit over the head/foot board. The most difficult part of the project was figuring out how to hold the bent molding in place. I decided to notch (3/16"- oversized) each bat to lock the molding in place. Basically, I assembled the head/foot board and one bat. I then put one end of the molding into the assembly and bent it around (no steam or laminations) them clamped it in place. Finally, I put the other bat on and released the clamps. The notch in the bats holds the sprung molding in place. Pure genius if I must say so myself! ;)

The bats on the headboard sit on two turned balls – just to give them more height.

The foot board has a baseball diamond (to scale) inlayed in cherry. From a design perspective, I wish I didn’t do it to scale. I think it would have looked better with oversized bases. The inlay was done with a router template/bushing set. The rails are also inlayed, but with three cherry stars (each side). Rails are attached to the bats with Rockler’s mortise rail set – it’s very sturdy.

The finish is water-based Poly.

I hope y'all like the bed. I’d be happy to answer any questions or critiques you might have. Lars

Michael Ballent
03-01-2005, 2:14 PM
Very cool!!! I also like the fact that you kept the color of the wood and the inlay is pretty sweet as well.

Frank Pellow
03-01-2005, 2:16 PM
Lars, I really like both your design and your execution of that design. Your son must be very happy with his bed (and with his dad). :)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-01-2005, 2:19 PM
Looks like his Dad hit a grand slam! Good looking work!

Dan Gill
03-01-2005, 2:28 PM
Outstanding work, and it obviously has made him very happy.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-01-2005, 2:38 PM
Lars,

That looks great! That is a very neat idea! I have saved it into the someday folder :)

Karl Laustrup
03-01-2005, 3:26 PM
BOOM!!!

Not to worry, that was my jaw dropping and hitting the floor. :eek:

Lars, that is a wonderful and beautiful piece. I think you have created a family heirloom which your son will treasure.

I don't see any signs of team affiliation though. :confused: ;) Cubbies? Sox?

Jim O'Dell
03-01-2005, 3:30 PM
BOOM!!!

Not to worry, that was my jaw dropping and hitting the floor. :eek:

Lars, that is a wonderful and beautiful piece. I think you have created a family heirloom which your son will treasure.

I don't see any signs of team affiliation though. :confused: ;) Cubbies? Sox?

You missed the inlay STAR??? Has to be a Rangers fan!!!
Lars, that is simply beautiful. I can't see how anyone could find fault with the design, or the execution!!
Jim.

Greg Heppeard
03-01-2005, 4:38 PM
Great job. I like the tie in with the wallpaper border. The only thing I think I would add to the room would be to use real baseballs for drawer pulls on the chest.

Jim Becker
03-01-2005, 5:07 PM
Incredibly wonderful design...and execution, Lars. Your son is a very lucky fellow!! I, too, love the contrast between the inlays and the natural maple. This thing really works!

Lars Thomas
03-02-2005, 8:39 AM
Thanks to all for the nice comments.

Karl, We are transplants to Chicago from the Annapolis area, so the team affilition is still strong with the Orioles. Behind the camera is the big Ripken picture.

Greg, not only did LOML tie in the border, she did the same for the paper. The vertical stripes look like baseball stitching.