PDA

View Full Version : A lot different turning..

Russell Eaton
10-21-2011, 4:47 PM
I like to trade materials with other turners. I got this in a trade with a member of the pen forum. It arrived as a round cylinder. I turned between centers till I could get it on a chuck. Then hollowed it and turned the lid. I am not real sure of the material but felt the need to wear a full face shield and a helmet when I turned it. It took a long time to finish and came out pretty decent. The different part is that it glows in the dark, my daughter LOVES it. The other fellow just turns pens and wanted to see if this was actually doable. Just thought that I would show it to the masses. I will also include 1 picture of my finger after the bleeding has stopped, got a little too close to the chuck while sanding. Comments welcome. Russell

Marty Eargle
10-21-2011, 5:04 PM
That is some very cool stuff. I'd love to get a hold of some to make a bunch of stuff for the kids in my family...and then keep it all for myself.

Russell Eaton
10-21-2011, 5:07 PM
It was cool to see the shaving glowing after I cut the lights out. Neat stuff.

Steve Schlumpf
10-21-2011, 5:11 PM
Cool little box! I would be interested in knowing what this stuff is - got a bunch of grandkids that would love this!

Betty Fox
10-21-2011, 5:24 PM
Just let us know if you start growing extra ears. :)

Bernie Weishapl
10-21-2011, 7:09 PM
Cool box. Let us know where you got it as like the rest the grandkids would go nuts over that.

Tom Winship
10-21-2011, 7:59 PM
Nice job! Neat stuff. Kryptonite?

Russell Eaton
10-21-2011, 8:08 PM
I got it from Jonathon Brooks on the IAP site. He said it is plain PR with the glow-in-the-dark cubes added. I don't know if he is planning to sell them or not. He sent it to me to "test". I pondered wearing a cup...LOL. It was the second time I turned under STRESS in 5 days. Back to some regular wood.