PDA

View Full Version : My latest creation "hollowform"

John Spitters
10-21-2011, 4:20 PM
" John Jordan style " This is a piece of Red Alder with some spalting going on. The carving was a first for me, it was a lot of work especially the sanding part but I actually enjoyed making this piece. I can see myself doing more of this in the future. BUT ! only after I get some proper carving tools other than just a dremel., and perhaps some sort of detail sander.

9"w x 6"h with it's first coat of antique oil.

John

Jon McElwain
10-21-2011, 4:35 PM
Wow, great looking piece! Do you have any finger prints left after all that hand sanding? I worked in a boat shop and would spend days sanding - after a while, I would actually wear my finger prints off! I really like the shape - I think you hit it just right. Also, nice use of the spalted wood - lots of interest in the piece.

Steve Schlumpf
10-21-2011, 4:51 PM
John - that's a beauty for sure! Very nice job on the form and especially the carving! Looking forward to seeing more carved pieces from you!

Bernie Weishapl
10-21-2011, 7:11 PM
That looks great. Nice carving and form looks really good.

Marc Himes
10-21-2011, 7:17 PM
That is a beautiful piece John and I know there was a lot of work that went in to the carving and sanding. I like the form and the way the light and dark parts of the wood are placed in the piece. Well done.

Steve bellinger
10-21-2011, 7:20 PM
John it might of been a lot of hard work, but you hit it out of the park. Great job man.

Scott Hackler
10-21-2011, 7:44 PM
Very nice work John.

George Morris
10-21-2011, 8:44 PM
John beautiful work! You sure nailed the form! Well done!

Baxter Smith
10-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Nice work John. I attended one of his demo's but he sort of lost me when he got to all the carving tools used. You really hung in there with what you had. Well done!

Richard Jones
10-22-2011, 2:16 AM
Gorgeous, John. Elegant, but not ostentatious. If that's your first attempt at carving, I can't wait to see what's next...........

Rich

Joe Watson
10-22-2011, 3:30 AM
Great job. For the first time around with carving looks like you have a good feel for it !

Michelle Rich
10-22-2011, 6:14 AM
lovely piece. yes, beautiful turnings take time & lots of sanding. but the outcome of all that is a stunning piece.

John Keeton
10-22-2011, 6:43 AM
John, that is as good as any I have seen - very nice work and a fine piece of wood to begin with. Sounds like you are going to be tool shopping soon!!

Kathy Marshall
10-22-2011, 1:19 PM
That's a beauty John! Great job on the carving, new tools might make it easier but I don't think they can make it any better!

John Spitters
10-22-2011, 2:24 PM
Yes I think a proper power carver like perhaps a foredom is in my future, or would there be a better tool than the foredom? I was also looking at the proxon power carver hmmm?
The job that I did on this form was / is not perfect by any means but I'm sure that with a bit more time invested in the shaping and sanding this would be easily accomplished.

john

David E Keller
10-22-2011, 11:24 PM
Just beautiful! The carving looks great, and I think you've really done a nice job orienting the color in this piece of wood!