PDA

View Full Version : WOP question.

Ian Jeffcock
10-21-2011, 3:35 PM
I have a piece that has 4 or 5 coats of rattle can deft on it. Now that it is cured, does anyone know if I can use WOP over it w/o a reaction. I want to sand it back to level and then give a few final coats with WOP.
Ian

Jeff Fagen
10-21-2011, 3:42 PM
I've done it without a problem but like it says on the can try a small place first.

Prashun Patel
10-21-2011, 3:53 PM
You should be fine. I've used Deft finish (rattle) as a sealer coat under poly a few times.

Jack Mincey
10-21-2011, 4:13 PM
You should be fine putting poly over deft, but don't ever put deft over poly unless you want a mess. Been there done that!
Jack

Marty Eargle
10-21-2011, 4:28 PM
I've always read that you "can" put poly over lacquer....but you shouldn't. The two won't really adhere that well to each other, and putting poly over the deft won't really make the finish any sturdier.

John Beaver
10-21-2011, 6:25 PM
It might work better to put a coat of shellac over the Deft, then try the Poly.
General rule of thumb. You can put Oil over Water Based Finish, Not the other way around.

I'm curious why you don't want to just go with the Deft ?

Bernie Weishapl
10-21-2011, 7:07 PM
You should be fine. Agree with Jack just don't put lacquer over poly. With your sanding the lacquer level that should give the poly a good hold.

Ian Jeffcock
10-22-2011, 3:29 AM
THanks for your suggestions and advise. John, the reason I wanted to finish with WOP is I was having a hard time getting a smooth enough finish with the spray can. I didn't start with the WOP because it was on a dyed peice and I was worried that I might smear the dye. I'm probably just going the long way around as usual.

Prashun Patel
10-22-2011, 8:21 AM
If yr looking for a more scratch-resistant finish then I can understand putting WOP over Deft. However, if you just want a smoother finish, then try rubbing out yr deft-sprayed finish. After a day of drying, it should buff out really well with a little steel wool and wax.