PDA

View Full Version : Headboard - Almost There!!

Teresa Jones
03-01-2005, 1:32 PM
The headboard is almost complete.

All I need now is the finish. I stained the cherry to match other furniture in the room and the nightstands were finished with a modified "French Polish".

I am planning on the same approach for the headboard, but thought I would consult with you guys first. After all, I would never had made it this far without you.

Let me know if you think there is a better alternative to shellac for this particular application.

Thanks,

TJ

Jim Becker
03-01-2005, 1:44 PM
That looks awesome, TJ!! I'd normally suggest a coat of garnet shellac before you do whatever topcoat you choose, but since you are matching exsiting work, you'll probably want to choose a lighter grade if necessary. This adds clarity and tone to the cherry, even with the stain, and also provides a barrier/seal between the dye/stain and your chosen finish. Personally, I'd stick with the same finish regimen you've already used for the other pieces...after all, it's a set.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-01-2005, 1:45 PM
TJ, If you have made other furniture from Cherry, I would finish that headboard the exact same way. They should match nicely, once they have all "aged".

Also, that is one nice looking headboard, you have done a great job on it!

Jerry Olexa
03-01-2005, 11:59 PM
Use the same schedule if you want it to match. Light french polishing works well on cherry..

Keith Christopher
03-02-2005, 12:48 AM
TJ,

Looks awesome ! can't wait to see it all finished up.

Keith

Herb Blair
03-02-2005, 6:48 AM
TJ,
Outstanding work! You did good. Can't wait to see it finished. Why is you garage not full of tools?

Pete Lamberty
03-02-2005, 9:06 AM
It is really looking nice Teresa. The color you chose looks great. How did you end up fixing the scratched area and how did it turn out?

Mike Mastin
03-02-2005, 9:20 AM
Impressive and beautiful! What else can I say about your efforts :D

Ted Shrader
03-02-2005, 10:13 AM
TJ -

That looks GREAT!!. As the others have said, use the same finish regimen that was used on the other pieces.

Can't wait to see it all done.

Ted

Teresa Jones
03-02-2005, 10:40 AM
WOW, thanks for all your kind comments!

I am moving forward with the shellac finish.

Herb – you can’t see the tools in the photo, but they are there! I am very fortunate to have a pretty decent set up for a hobbyist. I have a table saw, jointer, planer, band saw, lathe, RAS, miter saw and a growing collection of hand tools. The garage is 22 feet wide and 30 feet long. I use the first 15 feet for my shop tools and any other space I can get to without interfering with the vehicle’s space!

THE BEST TOOL IN MY TOOL BOX IS THIS FORUM – BAR NONE!!!!!!!

Pete – I used a combination of the suggestions given for repairing the scratches. I first applied heat to raise as much as possible and then I hand sanded to get to the rest of it. In a spot or two I went a little too far, but I think I covered them up pretty well, all things considered!

Hey Mike – the solid cherry in this piece came from Curly Woods!!!

Thanks again, guys. I appreciate the knowledge base here more than you know.

TJ