PDA

View Full Version : Laser Not Starting Up

Liesl Dexheimer
10-21-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm completely in a panic right now. Our laser will not start up. When I turn the rocker switch on absolutely nothing happens. I checked our wall outlet, it works fine (I tried plugging in something else). I also checked to see if the carriage could be moved by hand & it can (that was was the Epilog manual suggested in checking). Could this be a dead power supply?

I have an Epilog 35 watt Mini 12x24

Mike Westbrook
10-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Call Epilog Tech Support their fantastic at helping resolve these types of problems. Epilog's # 888-437-4564 then ask for Tech Support.

Liesl Dexheimer
10-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Thank you for the suggestion. I'm not under warranty anymore though. Would they still help? I may have to call my tech support guy...

Mike Westbrook
10-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Not sure if they'd help being out of warranty but I'd call, ask for tech support, be super nice and see what help you might get. If their slow today you may get free help. You may get it just for asking even if they are busy. Can't hurt.

Bruce Clumpner
10-21-2011, 12:27 PM
I've always found Epilog's tech support very helpful, even if your machine is out of warranty. My machine is 3rd hand & 6 years old, and have always received great help whenever I called in. I suppose it's part of their marketing efforts since where else are you going to get replacement parts to fix whatever problem you discover.

give them a call.

Martin Boekers
10-21-2011, 12:42 PM
One thing to check....... (this has happened to me) is to make sure the emergency stop switch is pulled out.
I had a co-worker hit it one day and I fiddled with a few things before I noticed it!

Liesl Dexheimer
10-21-2011, 1:14 PM
Martin, I have a 2005 machine (although it was prob manufactued in 04). I don't think my machine has this switch. Where is it located?

Martin Boekers
10-21-2011, 2:03 PM
On my EXT's (one is from 2005) it is a red "push/pull" button on the right front panel.
It has a decal that says "emegency stop" it's more or less a kill switch. so if something
goes wrong you push it and it shuts the machine down.

Not sure if or where your would be, but it should be close to the front and visible so
you have quick and easy access.

Liesl Dexheimer
10-21-2011, 2:13 PM
Hmm interesting, our laser definitely doesn't have that feature. Thanks for the suggestion though. I think I'll be making a call to Epilog tech...

Gary Hair
10-21-2011, 2:56 PM
Does your laser have a built-in breaker? The fact that it does nothing tells me that primary power is being interrupted somewhere. Since you checked the outlet it must be something with the laser. Check the power cord first to ensure it's not bad and then check for breakers and/or fuses.

Gary

Liesl Dexheimer
10-21-2011, 4:25 PM
I did check the cord. I used a cord that said 10 Amps though instead of 15 (I couldn't find any other cord that said 15 Amps but it did say 125 volts). The laser still wouldn't start up. When I called Epilog tech they had me check the breakers, nothing wrong there. Tech told me it was prob the power supply which is what I had guessed. They will be sending out a replacement next week.