PDA

View Full Version : Rescue me

Jim Paulson
10-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Recently, I stumbled upon a painted handsaw at a garage sale. It was hideous as a landscape oil painting and at $3 I knew it had to be rescued from the painters brush. I left it in my house for awhile just in case the painting might grow on me. Well it didn't, but out of respect for the painter I didn't take pictures. The owner told me that it had been painted just for him and I'll spare you the details.

Here is some information about this HSB & Co. saw of Chicago before I touched it. The back side of the blade was painted flat black. The oil painting depicting a fall scene was done on a white background that was applied over a sandblasted saw plate.

One day I decided to tackle it. I stripped the saw plate and the edges of the handle with paint stripper. When I scrapped off the plate, I got excited when I saw the etch. You won't be able to see it much, but I am hoping to treat it some to recover it. I sanded the sandblasted surface with 220 grit sandpaper using a sandpaper block, being careful not to damage the etch.

The saw nuts were all intact and featured a nickel plating that didn't survive buffing, except for the medalion that I was extra careful with to preserve the nickel plating in the center.

The tote suffered from some sandblasting and from the original owner H.M. Simpson who stamped his name all over the tote. Obviously, this owner wanted everyone to know that it was his property. I lightly sanded the tote, applied a maple dye to even out color on the apple wood, a good coat of BLO, two coats of garnet shellac, and then used wax.

I was thrilled with the way this rip handsaw turned out and can't wait to sharpen it up for use on some project. Even with the sandblasting on handle, the wheat carving has been preserved quite well.

Thanks for looking!

Jim

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
10-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Every now and then, I see a painted saw and the same idea strikes me when the painting is ugly. I figure if anything, the paint has to help keep the rust at bay, but I worry about the condition of the steel after whatever sort of prep work the painter did. Nice to know this can work out. There was a particularly ugly 5 dollar job at the thrift shop that I might have to check back on . . ..

Zach England
10-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Why would someone paint on a saw? That sounds like some really kitschy "folk art" to me.

Jim Paulson
10-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Josh,You are onto something there about what painter's might routinely do as surface treatment on the plate prior to application of paint. I confess that I didn't give it much thought before. I'm wondering what the current wisdom is among these painters. Like, do they routinely do sandblasting?Take care, Jim

Zach England
10-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Josh,You are onto something there about what painter's might routinely do as surface treatment on the plate prior to application of paint. I confess that I didn't give it much thought before. I'm wondering what the current wisdom is among these painters. Like, do they routinely do sandblasting?Take care, Jim

Hopefully the current wisdom is to not paint on a saw. I googled "painted saw". Gag me.

Jim Koepke
10-21-2011, 12:53 PM
I actually have a painted saw hanging in my shop.

I am not sure, but I may have bought it for my dad many years ago for $2. As was often the case with my dad, he gave it back to me years later.

I have not given it much thought since the saw looks to be made in the 1970s or 1980s.

jtk

Dave Ring
10-21-2011, 1:58 PM
Why would someone paint on a saw? Because there are people who will pay him for it. People who wouldn't give a nickel for the same picture painted on canvas.

Jonathan McCullough
10-21-2011, 2:01 PM
Nice! Looks almost new. Pretty well preserved, considering. I have a couple of HSB OVB's. I love the art nouveau embellishments on the etching. There's another style with a sort of Janus-looking emblem with two women's faces. Someone may want to correct me, but they seem a lot like Disston products.

Jim Koepke
10-21-2011, 2:06 PM
Why would someone paint on a saw? Because there are people who will pay him for it. People who wouldn't give a nickel for the same picture painted on canvas.

Some people like to hang pieces of folk art on their walls.

Why did people pay for "hobo nickels" or other pieces of art turned out by traveling artists during the great depression?

Now some of the artists who altered those nickels are recognized and their work is highly sought. Some day their may be a "Van Gough or Picasso" of saws. Doubtful, but possible.

I recall stopping in a diner on the Olympic Peninsula that had painted saws as its main decorative motif. So someone likes them.

jtk

Zach England
10-21-2011, 2:49 PM
I apologize to all the painted saw enthusiasts in the world. I apparently offended all three of them.

Jim Paulson
10-21-2011, 3:20 PM
I respect artists and their contributions, for sure. What made me strip the paint was that I deduced that the saw was worth more to me than the canvas and the depictionon it. A similar deal is when you buy an old picture for the frame. In your mind the frame is worth more. If the painted saw was attractive in an artistic way I would have left it alone. If the saw had sentimental value, I have left it alone too. Personally, I think a nice 1940's handsaw like this one is art in a way too. Food for thought.Jim

Bill Houghton
10-21-2011, 3:22 PM
That saw's probably singing Aretha Franklin's "Rescue Me" right now.

"...cause I'm lonely...and I'm blue*...Come on and rescue me!"

*Probably other colors as well.

Andrae Covington
10-21-2011, 3:28 PM
Nice! Looks almost new. Pretty well preserved, considering. I have a couple of HSB OVB's. I love the art nouveau embellishments on the etching. There's another style with a sort of Janus-looking emblem with two women's faces. Someone may want to correct me, but they seem a lot like Disston products.

Hibbard, Spencer, & Bartlett was a hardware wholesale/retail company based in Chicago. I'm sure many of their tools were contracted to Disston, along with other manufacturers.

I never would have thought of trying to restore a painted saw, nice to see that it is possible. Looks great.

Mike Davis NC
10-21-2011, 3:31 PM
A hundred years from now painted saws will still sell for $2 and some wood worker will still be asking why they were ever painted and some smart handyman will be stripping off that ugly paint and putting that saw back to work.

Dave Ring
10-21-2011, 3:47 PM
Sorry, Jim. I realize that you weren't paying three bucks for the "painting" any more than I'm paying for the rust when I buy a three-dollar saw. Nice job on that poor, mistreated old tool BTW.

Jim Matthews
10-21-2011, 4:19 PM
Any painted saw should get a new medallion, "From the DISDAIN company".

Tools should be used, not hung on a wall with a depiction of the last supper with dogs playing poker.

Mark Wyatt
10-21-2011, 4:26 PM
Any painted saw should get a new medallion, "From the DISDAIN company".

Tools should be used, not hung on a wall with a depiction of the last supper with dogs playing poker.

If you could get Elvis in his white jumpsuit, the last supper, dogs playing poker, and the cover art from Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon all painted on the same face of the same saw, I would buy that in a heartbeat. Simply epic.

Zach England
10-21-2011, 5:50 PM
I should pick up a few painted saws to hang next to my Thomas Kinkade paintings and my collection of shot glasses from all 50 states.

Jim Paulson
10-21-2011, 6:23 PM
That saw's probably singing Aretha Franklin's "Rescue Me" right now."...cause I'm lonely...and I'm blue*...Come on and rescue me!"*Probably other colors as well.Bill if I could make it sing that's the tune.

Brett Robson
10-21-2011, 6:38 PM
If you could get Elvis in his white jumpsuit, the last supper, dogs playing poker, and the cover art from Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon all painted on the same face of the same saw, I would buy that in a heartbeat. Simply epic.

One epic saw. It's beautiful, I know. :)

Bill Houghton
10-21-2011, 6:49 PM
One epic saw. It's beautiful, I know. :)

Brett,

It's perfectly OK to paint one of those saws. Feel free. Have at it.

Dave Ring
10-21-2011, 7:14 PM
I think I'll head down to the basement now and paint big-eyed children and weeping clowns on my dusty old tablesaw.

Bill Houghton
10-21-2011, 7:26 PM
I think I'll head down to the basement now and paint big-eyed children and weeping clowns on my dusty old tablesaw.

Just don't get confused: no big-eyed clowns and weeping children.

Shoot, do that on a tablesaw and you don't need no SawStop: no one will want to use it.

Dave Ring
10-21-2011, 7:45 PM
I don't even want to use it now. I'd get rid of it if hauling it out of the basement wasn't such a PITA.

James Taglienti
10-21-2011, 8:39 PM
This thread is hilarious

Steve Branam
10-22-2011, 11:00 AM
The SPCHT thanks you for your kind tool rescue!

Jim Koepke
10-22-2011, 11:27 AM
I respect artists and their contributions, for sure. What made me strip the paint was that I deduced that the saw was worth more to me than the canvas and the depictionon it. A similar deal is when you buy an old picture for the frame. In your mind the frame is worth more. If the painted saw was attractive in an artistic way I would have left it alone. If the saw had sentimental value, I have left it alone too. Personally, I think a nice 1940's handsaw like this one is art in a way too. Food for thought.Jim

Any way a person can get a good deal on a good tool is Okay.

Stripping paint is better than stripping rust.

jtk

Bryan Ericson
10-22-2011, 8:55 PM
I've been quite irritated to lose eBay auctions at the last second, but I always assumed that at least those saws were going to collectors or to galoots - either way, to a good home. Now, though ... <shudder> ... those poor saws ...

Bill Houghton
10-22-2011, 8:58 PM
I've been quite irritated to lose eBay auctions at the last second, but I always assumed that at least those saws were going to collectors or to galoots - either way, to a good home. Now, though ... <shudder> ... those poor saws ...

I'm willing to bet that most of the painted saws are purchased for $1 or so at yard sales; at least, that's what I'd be paying if I were going to be painting saws. Oh, wait! That's what I pay when I find saws I can't resist!

Bill, way too many saws, but none of them have farm scenes on them

Jim Paulson
10-22-2011, 9:21 PM
I'm willing to bet that most of the painted saws are purchased for $1 or so at yard sales; at least, that's what I'd be paying if I were going to be painting saws. Oh, wait! That's what I pay when I find saws I can't resist!Bill,I couldn't agree more and that is what has made me go to garage sales again. Kinda like a treasure hunt or something.Take care,Jim