PDA

View Full Version : Four inch ginger jar.

Betty Fox
10-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Here is what I got from the ginger jar. I'm not at all happy with it but don't know exactly why. The finish wouldn't come out how I wanted it to but I thought I got the jar part right.
Where did I go wrong people?

Paul Heely
10-21-2011, 10:27 AM
I think the lid throws off the curve of the jar. It adds too much to the height and the curve now looks like its right in the middle of the piece. That's what my un-trained eye thinks. It will be interesting to see what other people think.

I think the finish on the jar looks fine.

John Keeton
10-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Betty, I think it best to talk about the jar and lid separately. On the jar, you might consider on the next one having a flowing curve on the lower portion. The shoulder looks pretty good as far as placement, and if the lower portion curved more it would create a smaller foot - and, that would help. It doesn't need to be real small, as this is a functional piece. The top of the shoulder probably could roll in toward the center a little more, but you might be able to let the lid resolve that issue.

On the lid, for me it is much to heavy. I would try to do something that sits flush with the side of the form and continue the curve of the form. That should determine the height of the lid for you, and it may be close to what you have. When you have this much contrast in color, the lighter color will look more massive than the darker, and will overpower it if the proportions are not right.

The finish looks good, though there appear to be some tool marks or sanding marks that remain.

Paul Williams
10-21-2011, 10:47 AM
I like the jar by itself. Have always liked that form and you did a nice job with it. I think the lid overpowers the jar. I would think about a flat lid that fits almost comepletely under the lip of the jar. I would use the id on a straight sided jar.

Michelle Rich
10-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Mr. K is right on.. it's kinda cute..

Betty Fox
10-21-2011, 3:44 PM
Thanks for all the help with the form. I'll have to start another one. I hollowed this one out too much to make the bottom skinnier. I think I understand the problem with the top. I think if the top was walnut it might work out better too. I was reluctant to post a picture of this one since it didn't turn out well but I'm glad I did. You guys/girls are a lot of help.
:)

Michelle Rich
10-22-2011, 6:28 AM
Betty: I have had in my turning arsenal for many years, a book entitled : Shapes for Woodturners by David Weldon. It has gridded drawings of shapes for every conceivable vessel. Maybe your library can get it for you . Good luck with your turning journey.