PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to trim wide stock?

Scott Sallyards
10-21-2011, 7:47 AM
I have a 3” laminated piece of cherry that I need to cut a pattern on. On smaller pieces I will create a template cut the piece on the band saw as close as I can then use the template with a flush trim bit on the router to clean the rest up. This has work very well for me in the past. However now I have a 3” piece and not sure the best way to get the results that I need since I do not have or seen on the web a 3” flush trim bit for a router. Any suggestions on how to get predictable results?

Thanks

Scott

Jake Elkins
10-21-2011, 8:10 AM
I have gotten to where I use my oscillating spindle sander for most curved template work, even when the thickness would allow for a flush trim bit. It might take a little longer, but I think its much easier, much safer esp. for small pieces, and less (zero) chance for grain blowout. While I had scanned the classifieds for a long time for a free standing model (Max/State or the like), I settled on a an el-cheapo Menards bench top model. Easily the best 80 dollars I've ever spent on a power tool. This will handle well over 3" (6 if you flip the piece).

Jamie Buxton
10-21-2011, 10:23 AM
If the front face and the back face are parallel, you can cut part of the edge with a straight bit guided by a template guide and a template. Then flip the workpiece over and finish the job with a flush trim bit -- the kind that has a bearing on the tip. The bearing will be riding on the surface cut by the straight bit.

Mike Konobeck
10-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Your local cabinet shop or friend might be a good option if they have a shaper with the right tooling with a guide bearing. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes and if they have a segmented head like a Byrd there should be little risk of chipout.

Robert LaPlaca
10-21-2011, 12:00 PM
I have used a template bit with a bearing on a router table to flush trim 2.5" tall drawer fronts for a 18th century desk. The drawers were rough cut with a bandsaw really close to the line, but with enough material for the template bit to clean-up, the drawer front was mounted in a jig that had the template on the bottom, the flushing process was taken in passes, raising the bit after each pass, during the last few passes the bearing on the template bit will be riding on the lower surface of the drawer front just flushed up..

J.R. Rutter
10-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Get a second flush trim bit with bearing mounted at the end of the bit. Make first pass us usual with pattern bit. Flip workpiece and trim the remaining stock with the second bit's bearing riding on the part you trimmed in step 1.

Scott Sallyards
10-21-2011, 2:33 PM
JR,

Good idea, I will give this a try...

Scott