PDA

View Full Version : Removing Hip Wall

Alex Horvath
10-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Hi all,

I don't know if it's OK to discuss architectural woodworking here but I have found this forum has a very high level of general expertise...

My house has I guess what you call U shaped or switchback stairs. I rebuilt the open, bottom section with hardwood treads, housed stringer and skirtboard. The upper section of the stairs is boxed with an existing hip wall that encloses 4 treads and then runs along a hallway.

Now that I have added lots of traditional trim etc. the modern hip wall sticks out like a sore thumb. I'd like to remove it and install an open staircase with balustrade. I don't see this as terribly difficult - I think I just have to trim back the vertical framing such that it will support a new outside carriage.

I have a book on stairs that describes straight and L shaped stairs and those are clear as far as the outside carriage. However, on my stairs it's not really clear to me if the outside carriage can be placed such that it's on top of the vertical framing since there is really no lower landing to rest on at that point (it could rest on the cut back framing member in the corner of the landings). However, is there a problem with moving the outside carriage inboard so that it can rest on the landing? Then the carriage could be face screwed to the vertical framing members and those would be cut back flush with the carriage. There would be a few inches of cantilever on the treads but so what. As I recall the vertical framing is not really even required for structural- it's simply a drywall nailer. The critical support is the landing and hangerboard, especially on a run of only 4 treads using 2x12 carriages.

The newel post would go approximately where the wrap around trim is and can be bolted very securely to the landing riser. I would also replace the existing carriages since I have to move the treads towards the landing.

In the picture the part I'm referring to is the left set of stairs (4 treads). The right side is complete except for railing. I can get to the underside of the right side run if necessary. I can of course also pull the lower left side tread to get a look at the framing. I also added a very crude top view drawing.

Thanks, I have never really removed any framing and it's always scary the first time!