PDA

View Full Version : Filling zebra wood gum pockets?

Drew Eckhardt
10-20-2011, 9:11 PM
What can I fill zebra wood gum pockets with the finish most likely shellac?

My glue-ups will end up as irregularly shaped pieces 46" long and up to 16" wide, so working around them is not a viable option and finding other boards probably wouldn't work since I went with the only local source and want my wife to approve grain + color choice which doesn't seem to be an option online.

The attached image is the worst example in my boards.

Jamie Buxton
10-20-2011, 11:39 PM
Black epoxy. It will look like the pitch pocket, which is a natural feature of the wood, but without the hole that you now have.

I use West Systems epoxy, which I get from a local boating supply place. Woodcraft sells System Three, which is essentially the same stuff. It can be colored with pigment sold by the epoxy retailer. It can also be colored with pigment intended to color fiberglass work. Or I've heard that universal colorants can pigment it.

Bob Vallaster
10-20-2011, 11:57 PM
Not knowing how deep those pockets go...or whether they're through-and-through, I'm inclined toward Jamie's recommendation.
For smaller defects, Starbond offers CA glue in black and brown tint. http://www.starbond.com/

BobV

Jerome Hanby
10-21-2011, 9:56 AM
I was thinking shellac sticks, but I think the black epoxy is a better idea.

Don Bullock
10-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Black epoxy. It will look like the pitch pocket, which is a natural feature of the wood, but without the hole that you now have.

I use West Systems epoxy, which I get from a local boating supply place. Woodcraft sells System Three, which is essentially the same stuff. It can be colored with pigment sold by the epoxy retailer. It can also be colored with pigment intended to color fiberglass work. Or I've heard that universal colorants can pigment it.

WOW!!! Thanks for the idea. I was planning on using some filler on my upcoming project with zebra wood, but the black CA sounds like a much better solution.

Matt Mackinnon
10-21-2011, 1:07 PM
I agree with the epoxy part, but not with the color. I'd use clear epoxy as it will look totally natural to the surrounding wood as it picks up the colour from the wood around it. I find that CA tends to go black and looks just wrong. Get the epoxy from a boating store as I find their prices to be better than most wood, and they sell true clear epoxy, not the yellow junk that most sell.