PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a new Delta Hybird Table Saw?

Matt Bollinger
03-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Hello,

I'm interested in this new table saw, especially the 36-717 model with the Biesemeyer fence.

I know that this saw is very similar to the new Craftsman hybrid, with the main difference being how the trunions are mounted. I've read a lot about peoples experiences with the Craftsman (seems to be a great saw), but I haven't really seen much from people who have actually used the Delta. (I guess because it's so new.)

Anyway, I'm hoping to hear from anyone who has actually used one of the new Deltas first hand.

If you aren't familiar with this new Delta saw, here is a well written article/review of it from Woodcraft magazine:

http://www.woodcraftmagazine.com/articles/article.aspx?id=6

The reviewer seems to like it and I'm sure its a great saw, but I also like reading reviews by the average woodworker...

Thanks in advance :)

Darren Ford
03-01-2005, 11:59 AM
I've heard that the saws will not be available in the US until later this month.

Matt Bollinger
03-02-2005, 9:05 AM
Thanks for the reply...

From various sources on the internet, I was under the impression that they were already available (if only recenlty available). I emailed Woodcraft and they responded that Delta has just given them March 15 as a delivery date...

Hopefully, we'll see some reviews soon.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-02-2005, 9:06 AM
Matt ....Welcome to the 'Creek! Neat place to gain info!

Matt Bollinger
03-02-2005, 9:09 AM
Thanks Ken...

Jeff Sudmeier
03-02-2005, 9:19 AM
Matt,

Wanted to add my welcome! You have joined a great forum. I too have been watching this new saw with interest. I am not currently looking to upgrade my saw, but it never hurts to stay up on what's new, for when I can upgrade :)

Matt Bollinger
03-02-2005, 10:18 AM
Thanks Jeff...

This does indeed seem to be a great forum. (A coworker introduced it to me.)

I've wanted to get a contractor saw for a long time... I have been using a RYOBI BT3000 that my dad handed down to me. It's served me well over the last couple of years, but I'm always jealous when I use his nice Delta contractor saw. I was finally able to muster up enough cash to afford the Delta contracor with the Biesemeyer fence (36-682). Then I discovered that there is a loyal BT3000 following and that I could make about $200 bucks by selling its major pieces individually on eBay. So that's what I'm doing. Anyway, that additional $200 bucks will put me in the price range for this new Delta Hybrid.

Honestly, I'd be happy with the performance of a contractor saw. I know that a Hyrbid isn't going provide much of an improvement in performance, but I'm mostly interested in its dust collection abilities. The other bells and whistles (cast iron wings on both sides, T slots for miter, flat ribbed belt, etc.) mentioned in the woodcraft magazine article are nice pluses.

I'm fairly certain that I'll be purchasing this saw, but I would still like to see some more reviews of it. Looks like maybe I'll have to wait a couple of weeks for those. Who knows, I might be one of the first people giving a review of it on this forum :)