PDA

View Full Version : Claro Walnut drying question

Scott Hackler
10-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Ok, John and anyone else. I might have messed up. I put a blank of claro walnut I got from Mike Smith on the lathe and started turning away. Then I got out the various hand hollowers (Hollow Roller rig waws too big for this one) and hollowed it down to 1/8" thick. It just turned so easily that I think I got carried away and now I am worried about movement as it drys. :( BTW this piece is about 4.5" wide x 5" tall or so, with a 3/4 opening hole, hollow form

Here's what I did to slow down the process. I sanded the outside to 120 and sealed it up with thinned down shellac. Then I rolled up a paper towel and stuck it into the opening, loosely and sit it on a shelf in my 70 degree house.

So what do you think the odds are that this wont move that much??

Prashun Patel
10-20-2011, 12:11 PM
I don't bet on wood movement.

But I would do the following:

Fill the vessel with shavings, then pack it in a grocery bag full of shavings. Fold over the top and put it in your basement on the floor. 70 degrees is a little high for gentle drying, IMHO...

Marty Eargle
10-20-2011, 12:19 PM
I have never tried doing so, but you may want to look into doing a quick boil. Someone else could probably give a better recommendation on it...I'm not sure if boiling something that thin will cause me damage when it swells than it would when drying.

Scott Hackler
10-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Thanks Prashun. I might just do that. The only reason I asked the question was that I haven't ever turned Claro Walnut before (and I will be ordering a lot more after this experience) and worried about movement. I guess I should just dunk it in the DNA and do the regular process, but with it hollowed to 1/8" already, while its wet..... I didn't think the dNA process would really matter. Thats why the outside was totally sealed with shellac.

Reed Gray
10-20-2011, 12:28 PM
I have found walnut to be pretty stable and show little movement when drying. The soaks (either LDD or DNA) made no measurable or visible differences that I could notice on my green turned bowls (1/4 to 1/2 inch thick). I would expect it to move enough so that returning it would probably not work. If you had left it at 1/4 inch, then maybe. It should be dry in about a week, maybe 10 days tops. I would seal the bottom, especially if you left it thicker. Bottoms on end grain pieces tend to bulge out, not in, for reasons unknown to me. I would keep it out in the garage, but not in the house if you have the heater going. Down on the concrete floor is great.

robo hippy

John Keeton
10-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Scott, my experience with Claro has been excellent, and with minimal precautions, I think you will do fine. I usually will leave the piece on the lathe for 2-3 days after hollowing if it shows much sign of moisture, and finish turn it. Even then, I don't get much, if any, significant movement.

Scott Hackler
10-20-2011, 1:21 PM
I still have the tenon attached and didn't seal it up, like the rest of the outside, with the thinned shellac. I will be taking it back out to the shop in a bit and leave it there for a week. I am not as worried about the vessel body moving a lot than I am about the 3/4" hole in the top! This one is getting a delicate finial made for the top and it will need to still be a round opening (preferably as small as possible)! :)

John, I know why you love Claro so much, now. This stuff is so pretty with the vanilla swirled around and it cuts so nice. Black walnut is similar, but my experience is that black walnut is noticably harder (at least the stuff we have around here). Mike Smith will be getting some more of my money, sometime in the future.

John Keeton
10-20-2011, 1:24 PM
Mike Smith will be getting some more of my money, sometime in the future.Let me know so I can get my stock replenished before you order!!!!!:D

Marty Eargle
10-20-2011, 1:47 PM
I'm going out there sometime next week and I'm going to snatch up all the most highly figured chunks. Mwahahaha!

Wally Dickerman
10-20-2011, 1:58 PM
Yes, Claro Walnut is pretty stuff. I've turned a lot of walnut but not anymore. Developed a sinus allergy to it. Sad.

If it's end grain, you'll see almost no movement. If it's side grain you'll see some movement, but unless you plan to do something further with it, who cares? Figured walnut is pretty stable.

John Keeton
10-20-2011, 2:01 PM
I'm going out there sometime next week and I'm going to snatch up all the most highly figured chunks. Mwahahaha!Marty, the sheriff will be out there with a seizure order this afternoon!!!!:cool::D Don't waste the trip!

Bernie Weishapl
10-20-2011, 9:08 PM
I already have my stash so go ahead. I just had to beat John to it and did.:rolleyes:;)