PDA

View Full Version : Radius skew and Alan Lacer

Steve Trauthwein
10-20-2011, 6:37 AM
Hello All,

Started this thread so as to not highjack another.

Anyone who is interested in using the skew chisel should try to attend a Lacer demo. Preferably one in a small group such as a club sponsored one. Alan chases a radius high on the piece with the heel of the skew which allows him to watch the dirt trail (his description) and stay in better contact with the piece. But then he can also do it one handed or with his eyes closed (nothing like expertise).

I came home from the demo and reground all of my skews. I would like to have both grinds, but then I would like to have every tool available. If you have any facility at all and get to see Alan grind his skew and explain what he is doing, it is very simple.

One tip I can share that was invaluable to me-if you are using the vari grind system run a flat file across the platen, this will highlight were the weld on the bottom has created a high spot. File this flat and your sharpening will be much improved.

Regards, Steve

Bernie Weishapl
10-20-2011, 10:41 AM
I have to agree Steve. He gives a great demo and explains everything in detail.

Ron Bontz
10-20-2011, 3:01 PM
Thanks for the info., Steve. I will check my varigrind when I get home. I was fighting that skew thing just the other day. Watched the video, checked my grind, reground, honed. Improved cutting but I just keep getting catches. Oh, the agony of it all.

Ken Whitney
10-21-2011, 6:38 AM
I've not had the pleasure of seeing Alan do a demo, but his skew videos are probably the next best thing, followed by lots and lots of practice. I made lots of shavings with the skew on cut up 2x stock from the BORG.

My own modest contribution to using a radius skew is >this (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?161738-Skew-Sharpening-Jig&highlight=)< on freehand sharpening.

Rick Prosser
10-21-2011, 8:54 AM
Cool - our club is sponsoring Alan next month, and I get attend the hands-on seminar the day before the demo. Now I am looking forward to it even more! I feel the need for a new tool...

Ken Fitzgerald
10-21-2011, 4:41 PM
I would love to attend an Alan Lacer demo or class. I have his first video and 2 of his radiused skews. The additional mass of his skews (they are thicker), the radiused shape and the honing make them a joy to use.

One observation, however, if I may. If you are away from using a skew for a while, renewed practice will probably be required to reclaim your previous skills.

I would thoroughly enjoy attending one of his seminars!

Joshua Dinerstein
10-21-2011, 5:16 PM
One observation, however, if I may. If you are away from using a skew for a while, renewed practice will probably be required to reclaim your previous skills.

I was just about to post this same comment Ken. You beat me too it. My twins are now 6 months old and I for the first real time in those same 6 months some time got out in the shop the night before last. I got out my trusty skew to work on the handle. It worked. Barely. But what was natural a year ago was hard. I really need to get out some of the 2x2 pine that Alan Lacer suggests ans practice practice practice.

Joshua