PDA

View Full Version : I think it is time to give up watching woodworking on TV.

Tom Zillig
10-20-2011, 1:29 AM
Norm retired, David Marks is not on TV, Tommy Mac is not on my local stations, and those Woodsmith guys are just too remedial and dorky. And then there is some guy with a Woodturning show, but he drives me crazy and I'm not a turner.

And then there is that Scott guy on American Woodshop who slaps stuff together very sloppily. It turns my stomach to see him Kreg everything together and hose it down with shellac.

Who is left? I'd love to see David Marks come back, or let Lonnie Bird or comparable have a chance.

So I guess I'll hock the TV for a byrd head planer and make some sawdust on my own for lack of any good WW shows.

Brian Kent
10-20-2011, 1:46 AM
While you're at it, take a video of what you are doing and post it on You Tube. Voila! New show!

Tom Zillig
10-20-2011, 2:10 AM
I would, but my shop is too dirty, and I'm too fat and ugly to entertain this forum! I'm a one-trick pony - I can shoot a rotten pumpkin 20' through my snowblower in a month or two!

John Coloccia
10-20-2011, 5:04 AM
While you're at it, take a video of what you are doing and post it on You Tube. Voila! New show!

This is a truly excellent idea. I was thinking of doing something like this on my next guitar, not as a tutorial, but just for fun and maybe encouragement for others to do the same.

Tom: Nonsense! You're never too fat and ugly to entertain us :D Looking forward to the pumpkin shooting video.

Matt Day
10-20-2011, 8:00 AM
I have to agree with the OP about the Woodsmith shop. I used to feel obligated to record and watch the show simply because it was ww'ing on TV, but even though it's ww'ing I just can't stand how dorky the guys are! It's like a kids show from the 70's or something.

Give David Marks a show!

Bobby O'Neal
10-20-2011, 8:36 AM
This is a truly excellent idea. I was thinking of doing something like this on my next guitar, not as a tutorial, but just for fun and maybe encouragement for others to do the same. Tom: Nonsense! You're never too fat and ugly to entertain us :D Looking forward to the pumpkin shooting video. Do it!!!! I would love to see more home grown YouTube stuff. I record all the Saturday shows I get in the Nashville area but I really enjoy watching stuff on my computer and phone as well. Old David Marks and Norm or The Wood Whisperer, Matt's basement workshop, whatever I can find. I don't have to love or agree with everything I see but I enjoy other people's perspectives.

David Weaver
10-20-2011, 8:50 AM
So I guess I'll hock the TV for a byrd head planer and make some sawdust on my own for lack of any good WW shows.

This is a good idea, think of what you want to build, how you want to build it, what tools you want to use, and just go do it.

I haven't seen a woodworking show in a long time. They're a waste of time to watch - much better use of time to do something, stop when you need information and go get only information that you need.

Jerome Hanby
10-20-2011, 8:57 AM
I found some set of videos for some "blog" video show on Mediafly. It was actually some heavy set guy working in a pretty cramped, pretty messy shop doing some regular type of projects. I'd love to see more shows like that, the more warts the better. If everything goes perfectly when I do it, then seeing someone else doing it perfectly doesn't help me. But if somebody has to whip out the "board stretcher" because of a botched cut, THAT I can use.

Brian Kent
10-20-2011, 12:35 PM
As a guy, I watch a video on woodworking and honestly never think, "Wasn't that woodworker slim and handsome with a clean shop!".

All I'm thinking about is, "I bet I could do that!".

Mark Patoka
10-20-2011, 1:25 PM
Norm was the last woodworking show our local PBS carried until he retired and they don't show any of the other available shows and I don't get DIY or HGTV on the off-chance they showed real woodworkers again. Fortunately there are enough home-grown videos on the net or past episodes of some of the commercial shows still available to get my fix when I need it. I agree, it would be nice to have some good quality shows out there again to maybe inspire some of the younger woodworkers again but it possible that with the way media is now distributed on the 'net, we may end up with the local guy posting his own project videos.

Jeff Duncan
10-20-2011, 2:24 PM
My wife thought I should do a woodworking show, you know the kind where guys are constantly swearing at each other and throwing things around the shop. That's really all that counts, the actual finished product is almost secondary. How bout' 'American Wood Chopper'?

I just don't think the wood dust would translate to a mass audience the way sparks off a grinding wheel or welder do:(

ahhh well,
Jeff

Jim Neeley
10-20-2011, 2:37 PM
If everything goes perfectly when I do it, then seeing someone else doing it perfectly doesn't help me. But if somebody has to whip out the "board stretcher" because of a botched cut, THAT I can use.

I'm with you on the value of seeing mistakes, how you recover from them and then an analysis of what went wrong.

This is one of the values I've found in Rob Cosman's online handtoolworkshop (.com) site. He recently made a dovetail corner, sliding top candlebox *totally* by hand (scrub plane to remove wind in the rough board, hand saws, chisels, planes, etc.) and when he assembled it there were some issues. He walked through fixing it (as best possible), finishing it and completed the series of episodes with an analysis of what likely happened and how to avoid it in the future. The construction of this box consisted of 18 thirty-minute unedited episodes, filmed in high definition video with lots of close-ups, where things were displayed larger than life-size and you could really *see* what things were going well and where there were problems. Then, with a forum for me to post my questions, it's almost like attending class in person.

While it takes a confident WWer to post unedited video of such a long project, seeing the "warts" makes it all the more real... and gives a novice like me confidence I can work through my own mistakes.

Note: While this is a commercial site I have no vested interest in the venture, beyond my membership at the site and feeling, after several months of membership, that I am getting fabulous value for my educational $$$.

Above I mentioned it's almost like attending a class in person. I have and will continue to attend classes offered by various woodworkers when they area available but actually feel that in some ways I'm getting better value onlune. In a class I am one of 12 or 24 people gathered around an instructor as they teach and its sometimes tough to see. With the HD video I can really see everything, backing up and replaying any part I desire.

I feel the days of the WW (and many other skill-building topics) on TV are numbered.

Jim

Sean Hughto
10-20-2011, 2:39 PM
I'd like to see a woodworking show where evey bit of the work on the project is shown - mistakes and all. It would run at normal speed for some portions (showing how to on an operation or explanatory/discussion segments) but other stuff - the repetitive stuff like the other three corners of the drawer dovetails, the sanding between finish coats etc. would all be there, just shown in a time lapse sped up kind of way. It would give folks a true sense of what goes into a project. It would also be funny to have the time lase bit stop and go to normal when a snag was hit and a fix had to be shown, etc.

Mark Maleski
10-20-2011, 2:59 PM
I'd like to see a woodworking show where evey bit of the work on the project is shown - mistakes and all. It would run at normal speed for some portions (showing how to on an operation or explanatory/discussion segments) but other stuff - the repetitive stuff like the other three corners of the drawer dovetails, the sanding between finish coats etc. would all be there.

That's what Tommy Mac's old webcast was! Then it was squeezed into a 30 minute format for PBS.

Jim Matthews
10-20-2011, 3:18 PM
The Logan Cabinet Shoppe webcast is closer to my actual working pace.

His show is about the method, fit and finish of the project.

Ben Hatcher
10-20-2011, 3:24 PM
I completely agree Tom. Honestly, I don't think you're missing anything with Tommy Mac. I owe a lot to David Marks. I learned a ton from his show.

Robert Maloney
10-20-2011, 7:56 PM
Charles Neil has a weekly webcast on his Mastering Woodworking Forum. He builds all sorts of projects, and walks you through the entire build. Presently he is doing a series on tables. The last project he did was a slant front secretary that took about 6months to build. What make his webcast nice is you actually see him building it, and he explains everything so even a novice woodworker can understand. He also makes mistakes like the rest of us, but he shows you how to fix them. Good site if anyone is interested.

Kyle Iwamoto
10-20-2011, 8:26 PM
So when is "American Wood Chopper" going to start airing? Sounds awesome to me.

Alex Horvath
10-20-2011, 11:30 PM
"And then there is that Scott guy on American Woodshop who slaps stuff together very sloppily. It turns my stomach to see him Kreg everything together and hose it down with shellac. "

Falling off my chair laughing!!!

My thoughts exactly. You ever see this guy attach moulding with super glue? He loves super glue and accelerator and he never gets the ends lined up!

Ryan Baker
10-20-2011, 11:34 PM
This is a truly excellent idea. I was thinking of doing something like this on my next guitar, not as a tutorial, but just for fun and maybe encouragement for others to do the same.

John, please do that. I would love to watch you building a guitar. It's hard enough to find good woodworking videos, or guitar making videos, let alone both together from someone who makes good videos already.

Mike Konobeck
10-21-2011, 1:38 AM
Tom, I literally just sold my big screen TV and will be buying a Byrd head for my combo. Got a bit of a chuckle over your comment when I saw that! :-) Sitting in front of the TV has been a waste of time lately. Time wasted that could be spent with the family, in the shop, etc.

glenn bradley
10-21-2011, 11:06 AM

Great idea. I haven't had piped in TV for so long I forget; 15 years or more anyway. I do have a DVD player. The absence of the "telescreen" has drastically increased my shop time and my enjoyment of it. :)

glenn bradley
10-21-2011, 11:07 AM
It's like a kids show from the 70's or something.

Matt, you nailed it. I just blew coffee all over the monitor :D:D:D

Neil Brooks
10-21-2011, 11:59 AM
I dunno' who else caught it, but ... on a recent episode of "American Woodworker," Scott Phillips built this bombe chest with nothing but construction-grade dimensional lumber, pocket screws, and butt joints:

http://www.alcazarfurniture.com/assets/images/Coaster_Furniture/Cabinet-Jewelry-Armoire/Roosevelt/Roosevelt-Two-Door-Bombe-Chest.jpg

I'm in awe, and will be a viewer for life :D

Peter Aeschliman
10-21-2011, 2:04 PM
Matt, you nailed it. I just blew coffee all over the monitor :D:D:D

x2. When my wife walks in the room while I'm watching it, she always at the very least rolls her eyes... usually makes a comment about Terry's mullet or just how plain cheesy they are.

I could deal with the cheesiness if their show had some substance... Even David Marks seemed a bit robotic at times, but his show taught me a ton. And I love that show for it. But Woodsmith Shop? meh. I'm hardly an expert, but it's definitely remedial.

Kevin W Johnson
10-22-2011, 1:33 AM
"And then there is that Scott guy on American Woodshop who slaps stuff together very sloppily. It turns my stomach to see him Kreg everything together and hose it down with shellac. "

Falling off my chair laughing!!!

My thoughts exactly. You ever see this guy attach moulding with super glue? He loves super glue and accelerator and he never gets the ends lined up!

Yeah, I saw the super glue.... I thought he was kidding, till he actually used it. You gotta wonder how people get their TV gig.

Larry Edgerton
10-22-2011, 6:34 AM
Gave up TV years ago. Never accomplished anything sitting in front of the TV.

Bill Clark De
10-22-2011, 7:40 AM
Use of an voting tool
Like voting approval with your buying dollars by discerning purchasing selections .....We may also vote with our TV on -off button... One size just never fits all in anything ---so we can aggressively attack the sponsors show offerings with our on off switch.. Just swmbo (she who must be obeyed)and my opinion and she is seldom wrong:rolleyes:
Bill

phil harold
10-22-2011, 9:53 AM
Gave up TV years ago. Never accomplished anything sitting in front of the TV.

or the internet...

Neil Brooks
10-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Once I found out that you can watch TV ON the internet ... ;)

Peter Hawser
10-22-2011, 11:52 AM
What about Roy Underhill? Surely you have him on TV? Did you ever notice his show is one single solid 30 minute take. There are no cuts and no breaks. That is, I think, amazing. Try it some time, I think 99.999% of us would fail.

I remember an interview with David Marks and doing that show was a real pain for him and it did not make him rich or famous. Still, like you I wish he was back or even reruns for crying out loud. Heck, they show the same darn shows 5 times a day and everyone has a DVR, but these great shows are just gone. Meanwhile why doesn't Netflix have them? Sorry, had to vent.

The pocket screw guy is just awful. I tried watching him, but it is just the same thing over and over. I'm amazed at how he uses the lathe so often, but then whips out the pocket screws every single time.

Jeff D, I read this on some post a long time ago, but it sounds like your show could be, "The Wood Screamer." That would be hilarious and probably very realistic for many of us including me on some days.

John Coloccia
10-22-2011, 12:03 PM
re: Scott Phillips

Based on the reviews here, I went out and watched a couple of episodes online. He does everything from dovetails, to hand planing, to pockets screws, to band sawing feet, etc. It looks like a pretty reasonable show that shows lots of different techniques. What's wrong with pocket screws, anyhow?

Jack Gaskins
10-22-2011, 2:43 PM
I think the Creek needs it own you tube show! Instead of everyone suggesting how to do something they should video a demonstration of "How To" on a subject.

Randy Dutkiewicz
10-22-2011, 3:13 PM
Ya' know, I wouldn't mind if the Wood Whisperer made it to TV. I actually like Marc and he often has some crazy "one liners", but he also shows how he has made mistakes with his projects. Maybe one day, he'll branch out into TV...???

Jerome Hanby
10-22-2011, 3:47 PM
Not exactly TV, but on my Tivo, I can download his Video podcasts. Even set a season pass for them...

Ya' know, I wouldn't mind if the Wood Whisperer made it to TV. I actually like Marc and he often has some crazy "one liners", but he also shows how he has made mistakes with his projects. Maybe one day, he'll branch out into TV...???

Dave Lehnert
10-22-2011, 5:41 PM
Sawmill Youtube channel is a good Idea. Videos would not have to be anything edited and such. I would like to just have the chance to watch someone do their craft. For example when a bowel turner is at the lathe, just set up a camera and film.

Jim Rimmer
10-22-2011, 7:21 PM
I like Woodsmith Shop, sometimes and even Scott Phillips, sometimes. When Phillips shows a carving and later gets to it in the show and rolls out the CNC Router, it really ticks me off. Hobbyists don't have that kind of equipment.

Jim Rimmer
10-22-2011, 7:32 PM
I'll go first.

OK, at great risk to my fragile emotional state, I'll go first. Here's a link to a series of videos I am making for my kids: http://www.youtube.com/user/RimmerJim?feature=mhee#p/u/3/n0cgOWliRgQ

This is a series of videos shot with a Flip camera. Audio is terrible. Unedited. Very basic stuff. I am building two A&C style bedside tables of Honduran mahogany. My grown children asked me to make a video of a project sometime and I picked this one. These videos were made for people who have NO knowledge of woodworking.

I have been doing ww'ing a long time but was off for several years as my kids and my career grew. Back into it now and trying more difficult projects. I hesitated at letting the Creek know about them because I am not a novice but by no means an highly accomplished woodworker. Comments are welcome. I know I am making some mistakes and already know that my tenons are too short. Be kind.

Jerome Hanby
10-23-2011, 9:19 AM
I like Woodsmith Shop, sometimes and even Scott Phillips, sometimes. When Phillips shows a carving and later gets to it in the show and rolls out the CNC Router, it really ticks me off. Hobbyists don't have that kind of equipment.

I Tivo both of those and any other Woodworking program I can locate o the premise that any woodworking content is better than none.

I know what you mean about rolling out equipment like that. The one that pretty much floored me was Norm's Timesaver. Everything else in his shop I could see acquiring one way or another if I really wanted it, but that thing was, is, and will probably always be out of my league.

The Carvewright though interests my wife, so I could probably get away with scoring one of those given a good enough deal!

Jerome Hanby
10-23-2011, 9:23 AM
Thanks for posting that. Wow a video project I could actually fit into my shop! I haven't finished watching them yet, but I will. Maybe you've found a good part time job. The Wood Whisperer didn't start that well.

I'll go first.

OK, at great risk to my fragile emotional state, I'll go first. Here's a link to a series of videos I am making for my kids: http://www.youtube.com/user/RimmerJim?feature=mhee#p/u/3/n0cgOWliRgQ

This is a series of videos shot with a Flip camera. Audio is terrible. Unedited. Very basic stuff. I am building two A&C style bedside tables of Honduran mahogany. My grown children asked me to make a video of a project sometime and I picked this one. These videos were made for people who have NO knowledge of woodworking.

I have been doing ww'ing a long time but was off for several years as my kids and my career grew. Back into it now and trying more difficult projects. I hesitated at letting the Creek know about them because I am not a novice but by no means an highly accomplished woodworker. Comments are welcome. I know I am making some mistakes and already know that my tenons are too short. Be kind.

kelly logan
10-23-2011, 9:44 AM
Been making wood projects in my shop for 20 years, sometimes ends up as firewood.but I still learn some things watching the Woodsmith show. Take a look at the Simpsons on TV it’s a stupid cartoon that has been on the air for 22 years. I watch it with my kids when they where little now I watch it with my grand kids. Yes I am a fan of Woodsmith show and even get the magazines. What we don’t see is the outtakes of filming a ½ hour show, Now that would be entertainment

Peter Aeschliman
10-23-2011, 1:15 PM

I wonder about that. Look at Tommy Mac for example. His online content was pretty funny, fairly raw, showed his mistakes/etc. You put him in a real tv show, and now he has producers, lights, scripts, and a very limited amount of time for each episode... and people seem to complain about it on this forum.

I think part of what makes Marc great is his sense of humor and the creative freedom his website affords him. He'd lose a lot of that if he got a TV deal. Regardless, you bet I would watch his show.

Jim Rimmer
10-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks for posting that. Wow a video project I could actually fit into my shop! I haven't finished watching them yet, but I will. Maybe you've found a good part time job. The Wood Whisperer didn't start that well.

Thanks, Jerome. I did some more this weekend and will get it up this week.

Dave Stuve
10-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Nicely done, Jim. I especially liked how you talked about the decisions you were making and why you were doing certain things. You've inspired me to clean up my shop and make a video one of these days.

daniel lane
10-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Not exactly TV, but on my Tivo, I can download his Video podcasts. Even set a season pass for them...

I've got to figure out how to do this - I think I've forgotten that my TiVo can do more than just record cable channels.

daniel

Josiah Bartlett
10-24-2011, 4:03 PM
What about Roy Underhill? Surely you have him on TV? Did you ever notice his show is one single solid 30 minute take. There are no cuts and no breaks. That is, I think, amazing. Try it some time, I think 99.999% of us would fail.

I remember an interview with David Marks and doing that show was a real pain for him and it did not make him rich or famous. Still, like you I wish he was back or even reruns for crying out loud. Heck, they show the same darn shows 5 times a day and everyone has a DVR, but these great shows are just gone. Meanwhile why doesn't Netflix have them? Sorry, had to vent.

The pocket screw guy is just awful. I tried watching him, but it is just the same thing over and over. I'm amazed at how he uses the lathe so often, but then whips out the pocket screws every single time.

Jeff D, I read this on some post a long time ago, but it sounds like your show could be, "The Wood Screamer." That would be hilarious and probably very realistic for many of us including me on some days.

I love Roy and his show, and he is very talented. I especially like seeing that a lot of his joinery has warts on it that he didn't take the time to clean up, and I love that he spends just as much time talking about the tools and their history as he does on the actual woodworking. I'd love to see a power tool version of Roy.

Keith Hankins
10-25-2011, 10:16 AM
I've not watched a diy show since marks left. I watch Charles Neil's weekly ww show on the web (its fee based) but you get a good product. I don't go out much so as far as entertainment it's two movies a month of cost.

Paul McGaha
10-25-2011, 11:11 AM
You guys may already know this but at newyankee.com they are showing an old episode each week these days. Hope it lasts.

Only woodworking shows I'm getting right now are New Yankee Workshop reruns and Roy's show. We used to get Roughcuts but not the last few months.

I like all those shows.

PHM

Jerome Hanby
10-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Think we (Birmingham Public TV) got all the original Rough Cut episodes and one round of repeats,then it went away. I suspect it will be back with the new season...

You guys may already know this but at newyankee.com they are showing an old episode each week these days. Hope it lasts.

Only woodworking shows I'm getting right now are New Yankee Workshop reruns and Roy's show. We used to get Roughcuts but not the last few months.

I like all those shows.

PHM

Jim Rimmer
10-25-2011, 11:24 AM
You guys may already know this but at newyankee.com they are showing an old episode each week these days. Hope it lasts. PHM

I watch these every week. I'm a little concerned right now because they haven't put up a new one and the schedule link says there is nothing scheduled. I hope they keep it going.

Jerome Hanby
10-25-2011, 11:55 AM
I assumed they would run these for a while then move them into some kind of subscription based content. Kinda like the Router Workshop guys have done. Kinda aggravating, I bought all their first set of DVDs and was anxiously awaiting the next installment and they switched...

I watch these every week. I'm a little concerned right now because they haven't put up a new one and the schedule link says there is nothing scheduled. I hope they keep it going.

John M Wilson
10-26-2011, 10:08 PM
I am also really missing my weekly dose of Norm!

Saturday morning was just not the same without a few minutes with the master... I sincerely hope that the web casts soon resume.

Jeff Mackay
10-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Ater more than two years of no cable at all, we just couldn't take it anymore. We just ordered U-Verse. We'll probably spend the next two months watching HGTV and DIY all day. Maybe even see a woodworking show or two.

Mike Henderson
10-26-2011, 10:49 PM
I'm not a fan of video for learning things - it's too slow and it's very hard to go back and find something later when you want to review some step. I'd much rather have still pictures and text.

While some presenters are direct and to the point, some wander around so much that you get irritated waiting for them to say and do something worth while. It's hard to fast forward in those situations because you don't know where they're going to say something valuable. I think video encourages people to blather. With text, someone (an editor) usually reads the text prior to publication and edits it to remove the extraneous material.

Mike

Jeff Rivas
10-28-2011, 3:54 PM
Wood Treks (can't find the link right now of course) has some interesting vids from basics like sharpening to advanced stuff like carving flame finials at North Bennett St. Norm was good but kind of generic. Got hours of early Roy on tape and still look back at it. Never saw David Marks but sure wish I could have from comments I've read about him. I haven't been able to find Rough Cut on any of the 3 PBS stations I get but all 3 show TOH.
I don't know what type of projects have been shown on Rough Cut but I think the caliber of work shown on his pod casts is kick a** and exactly what I aspire to do. He has a good sense of humor and doesn't think so much of himself that he won't show his mistakes even large ones and goes on to show how he corrected it. It's kind of nice to see something that goes beyond high school woodshop. Tim Yoder sparked me to play with my lathe again but I think the show is better when he has guests. As far as Scott Phillips goes he is the Ned Flanders of woodworking and should be behind the counter at Safeway wrapping hamburger. Drives me beserk.

Jim Rimmer
10-28-2011, 10:00 PM
I just discovered WoodWorkers Guild of America website (wwgoadotcom). Lots of info in articles and videos for beginners and some good stuff for experienced, as well. Some here are advanced enough they won't need it but a newbie here might find it helpful.

Mike Cogswell
09-11-2012, 6:59 PM

Aaargh! Today I happened to catch a rerun of him building a jewelry box / treasure chest. The completed one shown at the beginning had a nice Newport shell carving on the top and the joinery was pin and cove. Cool I thought, it would be interesting to see the shell carved (Norm did one once) and I was really interested to see how the pin and cove joints were done.

<sigh>

The "carving" was done with with a Carveright CNC system and the actual project used routed dovetails with a typical jig. I sure didn't get much out of either of them.

Brian Kerley
09-11-2012, 8:23 PM
Aaargh! Today I happened to catch a rerun of him building a jewelry box / treasure chest. The completed one shown at the beginning had a nice Newport shell carving on the top and the joinery was pin and cove. Cool I thought, it would be interesting to see the shell carved (Norm did one once) and I was really interested to see how the pin and cove joints were done.

<sigh>

The "carving" was done with with a Carveright CNC system and the actual project used routed dovetails with a typical jig. I sure didn't get much out of either of them.

I love watching Scott's show....just to watch his crazy ideas. It's more entertaining than educational. I can honestly say I have not learned anything from him. He tries to make his show accessible, but then uses tools like the carvewright. Or he uses techniques like making drawers out of 16/4 material by slabbing off each drawer face. Not only does it make a terrible drawer from a technique standpoint, but material of that size is outrageously expensive. He never dimensions his stock and I've seen the projects wobbling and shaking. So badly out of square you can tell on TV. His wife drives me nuts and the ways that shellac is slopped onto each project is insane. He's a pretty good turner from what it seems....he should stick to stationary metal and spinning wood, instead of the other way around.

Kevin Bourque
09-11-2012, 10:46 PM
Anybody remember Roy Underhill? At least I think thats his name. A true neander.

Ole Anderson
09-12-2012, 1:02 AM
I am just glad I recorded about 30 David Marks shows on DVD so I can get my fix every once in a while. Although with all of the cr** on most of the 700 cable channels, including about 30 cooking shows, one good WW show ought to be able to make it.

Curt Harms
09-12-2012, 8:54 AM
If anyone has PBS Create channel, there are some woodworking shows there. It works best to have a DVR 'cause they're can be broadcast early mornings, they're clearly not considered "prime time" fare by PBS programmers.

Larry Fox
09-12-2012, 9:11 AM
For my $$ I would rather spend the time in the shop than watching other people in their shop. I have seen an episode here and there of some of them and the signal / noise ratio is so low that I generally view them as a waste of time. If there is something specific I am looking for help with I look to YouTube.

Kinda like the Tour de France - I am also a cyclist and was watching a stage of the tour one beautiful day this summer. My wife passed by the tv, stopped and said "you do realize that it is beautiful outside and you are sitting here inside watching OTHER people ride bikes - right?"

lowell holmes
09-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Roy Underhill was on at 5 pm yesterday. He's not dog meat.

Bill White
09-12-2012, 2:35 PM
Well, ya obviously need a makeup artist. :D
Lookin' forward to the next episode.
Bill

Don Selke
09-12-2012, 5:53 PM
Charles Neal is the only guy worth watching any more since Norm retired. I gave up on woodworking shows on PBS completly. Daved Marks had a excillent show but is no longer to be found. As far as Scott is concerned, he is more interested in entertaining his wife. There is nothing wrong with having and instructing the wife in the shop, but when you are presenting a show do not spend half the time showing here what to do and correcting her mistakes. Woodsmith is only interested in promoting and selling there magazine. You get what you pay for I guess. The last few programs from the American Woodshop here in Phoenix were about building a deck. If I wanted to watch deck building I would watch This Old House. Tommy Mac is a great guy but he rushes everything he does and talks even faster.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-12-2012, 6:24 PM
Kinda like the Tour de France - I am also a cyclist and was watching a stage of the tour one beautiful day this summer. My wife passed by the tv, stopped and said "you do realize that it is beautiful outside and you are sitting here inside watching OTHER people ride bikes - right?"

Now that is pretty funny......

If you don't know where you're going, you can't get there. -- My wife said that. Wives are pretty smart.

Connie Ratisseau
09-18-2012, 11:32 AM
The Carvewright though interests my wife, so I could probably get away with scoring one of those given a good enough deal!

A lot of women love the CarveWright! I often hear guys say, their wife wouldn't let them. I tell them to go get their wives!

Connie