PDA

View Full Version : Performax 22-44 Drum Sander bearings

Jim Foster
10-19-2011, 6:01 PM
My Performax 22-44 makes a pretty nasty noise when on that seems like a bearing clatter in the drum bearings. They seem to be sealed bearings, but have weeped a lot of grease. I took the drum off, and pulled a bearing, it rotates nicely and I can't detect any chatter or anything when playing with it by hand. I have a new set and they seem to be very similar when turning by hand. Does anyone have an experience with the bearings on this machine or the smaller ones?

By the way, since I learned how to use the machine I like it a lot. I think one of the forum members here gave some advice on using it when I was not having any luck with it and it' a great tool. Only problem is I now dream of getting the dual drum Powermatic for big bucks.

John TenEyck
10-19-2011, 9:24 PM
If the drum bearings seem OK, could it be your motor bearings or a loose pulley?

David Kumm
10-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Bearings that seem fine when spun by hand can be for crap when under load. If you have them off change them. Dave

Jeff Monson
10-19-2011, 11:10 PM
They are both sealed bearings and should not "weep" any grease to speak of, my 22-44 has sanded a ton of material and never had any grease come out of the bearings. If you have them off, just as well replace them and see what happens, sometimes it takes a load to get a bearing to make noise as David stated.

doug faist
10-20-2011, 12:04 AM
I've got the same machine and had weird noises that took a long time to diagnose. After checking bearings, I found that the connection between the motor and the drum drive shaft was the source of the noise. Replaced it and the machine has been fine since, quiet as a drum sander can be.

It's something to check since you have the drum off anyhow.
Doug

Jim Foster
10-20-2011, 8:30 AM
Guys,

Thanks. As luck would have it the replacements are the right size, but wrong style?

After checking bearings, I found that the connection between the motor and the drum drive shaft was the source of the noise.

John TenEyck
10-20-2011, 12:59 PM
Happy to hear you found the source of the problem. Enjoy your sander. I've had one (Delta 18X36) for 2 or 3 years now and use it extensively. I wouldn't want to be w/o one anymore.

Jim Foster
10-21-2011, 5:04 PM
Guys,

After checking bearings, I found that the connection between the motor and the drum drive shaft was the source of the noise.

Bad attempt at quoting in previous post by me... My motor does not connect to drum drive shaft, it's a belt and pulley system, so I am assuming it's the bearings in the drum based on other replies. I found the bearings on Amazon and ordered several, I'll install when I get them and see if the problem is fixed.

David Kumm
10-21-2011, 6:10 PM
Jim, If you need bearings in the future try accurate bearings. They are good at giving info as well as good prices. Dave

Mike OMelia
04-27-2014, 11:00 PM
I'm finding this very interesting. I seem to have the same problem as well. I too am suspecting the bearings, until I read this. What fid u do to diagnose and finally repair?

John TenEyck
04-28-2014, 11:06 AM
FWIW, I just went through a noise/vibration problem with my Delta 18x36. As I pulled the drum out I found the set screws on the bearing on the drive end were loose and apparently had been so long enough for them to score a groove in the shaft. The bearings themselves seemed fine. I was lucky that I could reinstall that bearing facing the other way so that the set screws landed on fresh shaft and now it runs fine again.

John

Mike OMelia
04-28-2014, 11:22 PM
I'm pretty sure the noise is coming from the bearing. The coupler seems quite solid