PDA

View Full Version : Waste Paper Basket

Richard Allen
10-19-2011, 4:06 PM
Back in the old days, before computers, we would write or type on paper. When what was composed on the paper wasn't to our liking we would crumple up the paper and toss it in a "Waste Paper Basket". These were not trash cans and they usually lived next to a desk.

I was watching a cake competition on the "Food Channel". One of the techniques some of the cake decorators used was "piping". The cakes were round and I make round. The piping looked like delicate spindles. I pictured a platter with the rim connected to the body of the platter by a bunch of small spindles. As I got closer to actually making something inspired by the cakes I thought that the rim and body of the platter don't need to be close.

The rim and base are made from the same curly bubinga. The rim is 11" across and an 8"+ opening. The base is 8"- across and 7"- between the spindles. The spindles are made of holly and have 16"- of exposure (about 1/2" tenon in the base and rim) with the overall height of the waste paper basket being 17"+.

I am very open to idea for what to do next time.

Wally Dickerman
10-19-2011, 5:28 PM
Check out very similar wastebaskets made by Berea College Crafts classes.

https://bereacollegecrafts.com/products/6300c

Jim Burr
10-19-2011, 5:43 PM
That sir is some fine spindle work...and a fine job of replication if you don't mind me saying. Can looks great by the way!

John Keeton
10-19-2011, 7:41 PM
Richard, that sure is some beautiful bubinga!!! While I think you did a good job on the spindles, for me the beads are a little distracting since one can see "through" the wastebasket. It might not have that appearance in person.

Excellent job on this - getting the angles of the holes and spacing had to be a little tricky.

Baxter Smith
10-19-2011, 8:16 PM
Very neat Richard. I have never seen anything like it!

Richard Allen
10-19-2011, 9:30 PM
Excellent Wally

Tom Wilson66
10-19-2011, 9:36 PM
Really a great job on that. One idea for the next one that comes to mind is for you to ship it to me.

Richard Allen
10-19-2011, 9:42 PM
One of the things I like about the basket is the negative space and the way the beads put dimensional markers on the space.

I used a Oneway Drill wizard to do the holes. The angles were laid out on paper and translated to the drill setting. Dry fitting and adjusting the tenons for a fit that is snug but not tight was the big unexpected effort.

John Keeton
10-19-2011, 10:10 PM
Richard, I just noticed that my original phrasing was wrong in my post. I meant to state that the turning might NOT appear that way in person. I do understand what you are saying about the negative space and adding dimension to the piece, and I imagine in three dimensions (in person) the look is much different.

Bernie Weishapl
10-19-2011, 11:50 PM
That is a cool basket.

Steve Trauthwein
10-20-2011, 6:46 AM
Richard,

I really like your waste paper basket, though I am guilty of using mine as a trash basket (usually have to pry gum off of the bottom when I empty it). A suggestion for a little different affect with the negative space on your next one, stagger the beads on the spindles to resemble a rising spiral. Many patterns available by relocating beads.

Regards, Steve

Michelle Rich
10-20-2011, 6:52 AM
I like your basket, but I only make small errors and my mistakes would escape thru the slats! :-) Great imagination & I agree with Steve, a spiraling effect would look cool too.

Richard Allen
10-20-2011, 12:53 PM
I have thought that a spiral would be nice. There are 24 spindles and I thought that each spindle could represent a note where the basket would be a song. Each spindle could be different or different woods could be used. A series of 8 bead positions could be used to form a binary character which could be a 24 character (including spaces and punctuation) for a name or slogan. A bunch of beads on each spindle could form a mosaic 24 "pixels" wide.

There could also be inlay in the rim or base. Hang beads, jewels or charms from the rim between the spindles. Beads could be slid over the spindles to add a different color, texture or material. Different materials could be woven between the spindles. The whole thing could be a lamp shade.

So many possibilities and so little time ;)

Roger Chandler
10-20-2011, 1:46 PM
I like it Richard!