PDA

View Full Version : Lamp Help

Pete Jordan
10-19-2011, 1:16 PM
I am going to attempt to make some desk lamps for my family for Christmas and need help. I have a gun drill so I am ok with that part. Where do you get the lamp parts or kits from? Also, do you drill your lamp cord hole in the bottom or the side? One more question.(Columbo) What type of bulbs do you recommend? With those new-fangled bulbs, I wonder how that affects the hardware.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Erik Johanson
10-19-2011, 1:42 PM
They might make kits but for you could pick up the parts needed at a local hardware store. lamps do not require much more than some lamp cord, threaded brass rod, and a light socket fixture. I would consider those to be the most basic of components necessary. Just a word of caution...Just make sure that what ever light Socket you get that it has been UL (Underwriters Laboratory) tested and Approved.

As far as the new lights are concerned I am assuming you are referring to the new Compact Florescent (CFL) bulbs. They will work just fine in your light fixture and are designed to do so. Most come with a wattage equivalent on them to help match up desired light outputs.

Hope this helps

Dick Wilson
10-19-2011, 1:45 PM
Pete, Sounds like great Chrismas gifts for someone. You can buy all the parts you need at any big box store: Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. The hole on the bottom depends on the finished lamp. If you put 3 feet on the bottom there is no need for a side hole. You can also but hardware for feet that spruces up the lamp. I would suggest not buying a lamp shade. Shades are such a personal touch. Good luck and look forward to seeing the finished lamp.

Richard Allen
10-19-2011, 2:22 PM
Because you are making these for friends and family you don't need to follow any rules. But the rules tend to be for good cause. The power cord needs to be encased in something that can't burn. For a wood lamp the usual method is to use threaded brass tube through the body of the lamp.

The lamp shade ends up being important to the lamp design. Unless you are going to make the lamp shade yourself (turned wood lamp shades are way cool but a fair amount of effort) then I would suggest that you buy the lamp shade first. Get the hardware to work with the lamp shade and then work out the wood part of the lamp. A warning about the lamp shade and other parts. If you go to a lighting store you could expect to pay $100+ per lamp for shade and hardware. I have purchased saves from Target and the hardware at HD for a LOT less ($35-$45 per lamp). Please note that there are loads of places where you can get lamp shades on-line.

Gary Max
10-19-2011, 2:58 PM
Lowes sells a kit in their lighting dept. plus they have shades.

Joe Watson
10-20-2011, 2:08 AM
Last weekend i bought a kit from HomeDepot - socket, cord and short threaded nipple with nut a top ring/washer for 6$, they also had threaded tub for lamps - two pieces (forget the lengh - think it was around 12" apiece) for 5$, had to swing by a craft store to get the shade - it was a small one and it was 6$. The Lowes site has everything, lamp kits and shades.

Bernie Weishapl
10-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Pete I get my kits from either home depot or lowes. On the bottom I do drill a side hole as my base sits flat. I drill I think a 1 1/2" or 1 7/8" hole in the center of the base about 3/8" deep to manuver the cord going out the side. I also glue felt on the bottom. Get my shades from Wally World. Either CFL or incandescent light bulbs work fine.

Josh Bowman
10-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Pete,
Wish you could have been in Chattanooga, TN last weekend. Nick Cook came to out wood turners meeting and demo'd lamps and other stuff. He does production and uses lighting stores for large quanties, but the big box and ace for stuff he makes for gifts. He drills a larger hole in the bottom for the washer and nut and uses a 7/16" hole for the through hole. He said drill part way on one side with the drill in the center and the rest from the other way. That way the drill will not wonder off. The biggest thing he said, DON'T buy a shade for it. The new owner will want to match the shade to THEIR decorations. So I guess give away a wired naked lamp with a gift card for the shade?