PDA

View Full Version : New to SawmillCreek

Dave West
02-24-2005, 10:14 AM
Hi,

I'm considering purchasing a laser to do photoengraving. I teach graphics (Computer Animation) and used to build lasers for Reagan's 'Star Wars' project in the 80's, so this seems like a good fit. I can't believe the staggering amount of info on this forum. I'm in the process of reading all the old posts in the laser section.
Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences.

Dave

Mike Mackenzie
02-24-2005, 12:32 PM
Dave,

Welcome to the creek good luck with your quest for Information please keep in mind that reading this information is not the same as seeing the systems up close and personal.

Jim Stastny
02-24-2005, 12:51 PM
Welcome to the Creek. I know nothing about computer animation or photoengraving, but this is a great place to learn and share things with a bunch of great people.

Keith Outten
02-24-2005, 1:02 PM
Welcome Dave,

There are a few real Pro's here, you shouldn't have any problem finding out who they are. Ask questions and heed their advise is the best advice I have to offer. We are glad you decided to join us here at the Creek.

Dave West
02-24-2005, 1:18 PM
I will most certainly set up some demos when I'm closer to a purchase.

Keith,
I see from your postings that you have an Epilog. I'm leaning towards a mini 35 watt. If you had it to do all over again, would you still choose the Epilog?

Thanks,

Dave

Roy Brewer
02-24-2005, 10:18 PM
<!--StartFragment -->
Dave,

Mini18 or Mini24? Especially for a woodworker, I'd recommend the Mini24 unless that's beyond your budget.

Front cover on the Mini 24 is removable to do items larger than the 12x24 table size. Also, 12x24 is the size in which most engraving materials are distributed, another reason to consider "stepping up" to the Mini24.

If you'll give us an idea which direction you plan to take the laser, we can better make a recommendation.

[beware! I'm an Epilog distributor, but chances are, not in your part of the country]

Dave West
02-25-2005, 12:24 AM
Roy,

I'm not a woodworker and the mini24 is a bit out of reach. Just trying to do my research at this point. But maybe you could answer a question here. Not trying to start a laser mfg war, just want some facts. From what I'm hearing, the cost of after warranty repairs/replace (especially the laser tube ~$2500.00 Ouch) seems alot higher than a comparable ULS system. With only a 1 year warranty, this is a concern.
If my facts are wrong, please correct me.
When I hear about the great support an Epliog customer got from their rep, they're usually talking about you.

Dave

Aaron Koehl
03-01-2005, 9:12 AM
I've placed the Epilog portion of this thread here:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17434