PDA

View Full Version : Del Stubbs Turning With a Piece of Pipe

Paul Heely
10-19-2011, 10:22 AM
I was just watching the Del Stubbs bowl turning video and don't think I can ever blame the quality of my tools again. Stubbs uses a piece of pipe that he turned into a bowl gouge in one part of the video. He does not do the whole bowl, but enough to prove that in the right hands a hunk of pipe could turn a bowl. He's a hoot to watch. A very mellow presenter.

Alan Zenreich
10-19-2011, 11:04 AM
I like it.

Now to find someone who has made a laser hollowing rig from some coconuts and seaweed <vbg>

Dale Miner
10-19-2011, 11:48 AM
The Del Stubbs video is the first exposure I had to a bowl gouge. After seeing it, out to the shop and 15 minutes later, a homemade 3/4" bowl gouge of 4340 was put to wood.

As far as I am concerned, probably the best video for a beginning bowl turner to watch. He explains the why as well as the how to present a gouge.

$10K later, and the fundementals from that video are still the ones that I use.

Reed Gray
10-19-2011, 12:28 PM
A classic for sure. I was most fascinated by his use of a scraper, at a shear angle, with water on the wood, and the lathe at very slow speed. His idea of putting the motor on a lever, and being able to control the speed with a foot pedal is really efficient.

robo hippy

Ian Jeffcock
10-19-2011, 1:55 PM
I met him at his studio thirty + years ago when he was in Chico CA. He turned a top for one of my kids. He positioned them so that they could catch it as it popped of the lathe. Probably long since lost. I never thought back then that I would be so involved with turning.

Faust M. Ruggiero
10-19-2011, 2:25 PM
I believe Del Stubbs is now producing a line of hand made knives for woodworkers. It's a shame he left turning because he was a delight to watch.
faust

Wally Dickerman
10-19-2011, 2:44 PM
Del Stubbs was a master turner back in the 80's and early nineties. Sadly he left turning. I've watched Del turn a number of times. He was a great demonstrator. He got me turned on to turning thin. I stopped in at Chico, Ca where he lived once looking for some walnut to turn. He directed me to a firewood dealer where they had lots of walnut being sold at firewood prices.