PDA

View Full Version : Attaching a top with pocket holes

Jonathan Szczepanski
03-01-2005, 8:55 AM
I was watching The New Yankee Workshop this weekend, and Norm used pocket holes to attach the top of the piece to the rails. He said that people have been using this method for a long time.

I 've never seen this technique used before. How could you use pocket holes, and allow the top to move with seasonal changes?

JayStPeter
03-01-2005, 9:11 AM
I've been turning the top of my pocket holes into slots by using a small drill bit and rocking it back and forth in the direction that the wood will expand. I believe I learned that from Norm. I was kind of surprised he attached such a large top without doing something like that. But, he did mention that Poplar was pretty stable.

Jay

Greg Heppeard
03-01-2005, 9:39 AM
I read somewhere that with today's climate controls, wood movement is a lot less evident than it was a few years ago...this might be the reason that Norm is doing things differently lately.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-01-2005, 9:58 AM
In the Kreg demonstration the guy used the step drill bit to make a larger hole for the screw shank on the end of the board. This should allow the screw to flex, allowing movement. Also, he said not to snug done the screw quite as tight as normal.

Mark Singer
03-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Set the stop collar a little shallow or you may go through the top a bit!

Scott Banbury
03-01-2005, 10:26 AM
I do it sometimes on utility grade stuff--I just drill 2 overlapping holes to make a "slot".

Tom Saurer
03-01-2005, 10:41 AM
I've done it a couple times. What I do is drill a pilot hole slightly bigger then the screw through the brace on the apron. As the top expands and contracts the screw will be able to move with it.