PDA

View Full Version : Flexible exhaust vent tube question.

Ken Shea
10-18-2011, 9:39 PM
The Flexible exhaust hose that came with the laser seems very marginal for a long life and not very heavy duty considering the things that can get pulled into it. What do you use for this 4" flexible tube? Thanks

Thomas Bank
10-19-2011, 10:44 AM
My local hydraulic hose shop has a wide selection of materials for hoses for things like venting automobile exhaust from mechanic's shops and other industrial applications. Might want to look in your local phonebook and pay them a visit with the existing hose to see what they might have in stock.

Robert E Mason
10-19-2011, 12:50 PM
I bought mine from the local HVAC wholesaler. Was $5, equivelant part in Lowes was about $30 so definitely worth a drive if you have one that isn't too far. Not sure what it's called but it's the flexible metal vent that is used for dryers etc.

Ken Shea
10-19-2011, 7:59 PM
Tom,
Thanks for the idea, I happen to have one of those hoses and it will do for now, I do recall it started burning though when you had a out of tune car on it for a long time but never smoke6 just smelled like it was getting very hot.

Bob, I too had thought of that but not through a distributor, that will be worth the time to have a look at the prices.

Thanks
Ken

Mike vonBuelow
10-20-2011, 8:03 AM
I first tried your normal clothes dryer ducting, but it kept getting kinked, and the wire got mashed... wasn't an ideal fix.

Now I have a vinyl duct that is AWESOME - ebay available, was about the same price. I even squished it with my garage door, and it just about snapped back to original form!
Highly recommended! :D

Robert E Mason
10-20-2011, 12:36 PM
They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

This is the stuff I meant, my powers of description are maybe not amazing, but I know what I mean...most of the time :)

Bill Cunningham
10-20-2011, 9:46 PM
They say a picture is worth a thousand words...

This is the stuff I meant, my powers of description are maybe not amazing, but I know what I mean...most of the time :)

That's the same aluminum flex I use to go from the laser to the blower, and from the blower to the round metal ducting, that goes to the vent gate in the wall..

John Frazee
10-21-2011, 1:44 AM
I plumbed mine with 4 inch white PVC sewer pipe. There is less restriction using the smooth walled piping. I first used the dryer flex hose but have better luck with this 4 inch sewer pipe. Bought the pipe and elbows at Lowes.

Thomas Bank
10-21-2011, 8:40 AM
I happen to have one of those hoses and it will do for now, I do recall it started burning though when you had a out of tune car

Check with your local hose shop. As I said, mine has all different kinds of hoses - the auto exhaust hose was one example. Just in seeing other waiting orders when I have been in there I've seen at least a dozen different types of hoses along those lines.